Tuesday, June 21, 2011

BloggeRhythms 6/21/2011

My understanding of the war on terror is that the U.S., among other nations, seeks to prevent entities such as the Taliban and Al Quaeda from completing their goal of annihilating all those who disagree with their religious and societal beliefs. And, in their quest for victory, these militant factions have taken on those believed to be enemies all over the globe, either through outright military action or insidious secret plots. Needless to say, the entire free world desires to see these threats to their safety defeated.

Now, we here in the United States live in a free nation established by our founding fathers over two hundred years ago, who sought escape from religious and governmental persecution. Our country's been built and has thrived on fundamental freedoms ever since.

However, today we have factions in our nation who, I believe, see things somewhat differently. They feel that their ideas, ideals and objectives are more important than our freedoms and seek governmental representation that will impose those tenets on our population.

So, my question for today is, except for the fact that they don't employ military or mass destructive means on those who disagree with their beliefs, what's the difference between the Taliban and the hard core right? Because I don't see any at all.

I thought of this analogy because of their latest rebuke of Mitt Romney, who refused to sign a pledge offered by the pro-life group, Susan B. Anthony List. The pledge calls on signers to support only judicial nominees who are pro-life, to select pro-life cabinet members, to stop taxpayer funding of abortions, and to support a bill that would ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

Now don't get me wrong. I have no problem whatsoever with anything anyone else believes. As far as I'm concerned, people can do whatever they want, however they want to do it, so long as it's within the law. But, as for myself, neither they nor anyone else is going to tell me what I can and can't do regarding my own decisions and if they choose to try, they better arm themselves just like the Taliban does, because they're going to need it.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment