Friday, December 31, 2010

BloggeRhythms 12/31/2010

Bowl games all over the place. And although I graduated from Stern School of Business at NYU which had no football team at all, I still became a pretty big college fan. In fact, due to relations and some close friends, I root for several teams.

Penn State, because that's where my father went, and Florida due to someone I worked with a while ago. He became a very close friend, then "drafted" me and gave me all kinds of team memorabilia. Then there's South Carolina where Steve Spurrier wound up as coach when he left the Gators, and USC because of Pete Carroll who I was very sorry to see leave the Jets.

But the reason for the theme today isn't because of the teams I usually root for. In fact, none of them have played their games yet. It's about a very odd happening from last evening. Because as I was flipping channels, I came across a game between North Carolina and Tennessee, two teams I know virtually nothing about. Yet, I was sitting there really pulling for North Carolina.

And then it hit me. The movie "The Blind Side" has been running for the last couple of months on TV, and I've seen it more than a few times because I think it's great.

In the film, Sandra Bullock, who won an Academy Award for her role, plays the part of Leigh Anne Tuohy, who virtually adopted homeless Michael Oher. Oher, a huge and talented athlete, goes on to become an outstanding offensive lineman for Ole Miss, eventually reaching the NFL and Baltimore Ravens.

So, I guess Sandra Bullock really deserved the award she won for her role. Because there I was yesterday rooting against Tennessee simply because, even though Mrs. Touhy was born and raised in Memphis, she hates the school and the team. And her dislike was pretty infectious, because although I don't really even know a thing about them, I don't like them now either.

The Tennessee game though might just have been an odd occurrence, because I have no really strong connection to affect my feelings. But, tomorrow's another story completely. Because at 1 o'clock in the afternoon Penn State goes head to head against Florida in the Outback Bowl in Tampa. And although I know I'll be pulling for Penn State, because family comes first, I'm not going to be really happy if Florida loses either.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment