Monday, April 30, 2012

BloggeRhythms 4/30/2012

I keep reading about the huge amount of funds the incumbent's raising to spend on his campaign, predominately on advertising. I also come across talking heads on the tube who blabber about the public, referring to vast segments of the population as "they or them." For example, a pundit will say something like, "The president made that comment because he believes "that's what they want to hear."

And that's where they lose me because I always wonder exactly who "they" are. Because it seems to me these political "experts" live in a world that doesn't really exist any more, and so does the POTUS, whereas in today's day and age I believe voters are not only as well informed as the politicos, many, if not most, are much smarter and very far from naive.

So, what that says to me is I doubt very much that ads are really going to sway people's thoughts when their everyday lives tell them something that's entirely the reverse. And by now I think huge segments of the population that have seen the economy sink, watched enactment of laws that not only make no sense, they do significant financial harm, and see evidence everyday that the nation they built is being reduced to third-world status, are not going to vote for someone based on a flashy ad.

As for me, I've never paid much attention to ads to begin with, and frankly they're one of the reasons I rarely turn the TV sound on. But even if I heard the words it wouldn't really matter. Because since experience taught me long ago that while a burger may look like it's absolutely perfect on the tube, yet actually tastes like plastic, I'm no longer easily fooled.

Consequently, I believe the president can spend as many billions as he wants on ads and smoke and hype, but in the end it'll be his actual performance that counts with the voting public. And that's why if he truly wished to help the country, he'd drop the ad campaign and apply the funds to the national debt his failed programs have taken to almost sixteen trillion dollars.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment