Tuesday, January 18, 2011

BloggeRhythms 1/18/2011

Last evening my wife asked how I was holding up since it was still six more days to the conference championship game. I replied that, so far, everything was under control and that I was looking at the event as simply a bonus. One more Jet game at the end of the season, which was good enough for me. When the season began, I had no visions or heartfelt beliefs that this team was destined for greatness...so getting as far as they already had was okay with me.

Unfortunately though, even though my feelings were true; once she'd spoken, no matter that I had no great expectation...before falling asleep later on there was a momentary flash of -what if?

Well, regardless that I'm surely no football expert, and have no other knowledge than what I've seen as a long time fan, there's one thing I know for certain. Every game's a one-time event, and has it's own outcome that no one can possibly predict. So once you start thinking with any kind of belief that the team you root for is going to win, the odds can't really be better than 50/50 no matter...so what's the point?

This has been my rationale for a very long time now, and that's why both wins and losses are easier for me to take. Because, if you have no expectation, you minimize disappointment about losses and increase the pleasure of wins. What's more, without strong pre-game belief you lessen anxiety, which is far better for both your mind and your health. So, my approach is not only beneficial intellectually its best for my body too.

And, as I've already written, my beliefs aren't just something recent, or in any way caused by this particular season, I've been ambivalent about possible game outcomes for many, many years and am well used to not getting ahead of myself. And now, I'm going to stop typing and then, I'm going to read this entry over and over again. And if I do that long enough, maybe it'll be Monday morning and my hands will stop shaking from anxiety.

That's' it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment