Sunday, January 16, 2011

BloggeRhythms 1/16/2011

Yesterday certainly lived up to my expectations, all four playoff games were great. But what pleased me most was, how close I was with my predictions. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't know enough about pro football to make any kind of really valid assumptions, and I've been watching the game long enough to learn that nobody else on Earth can either, but the "experts" certainly have much more solid and inside information than I do.

Nonetheless, there are certain teams, players and coaches that send off a particular kind of vibe that differentiates them to me, and often gives them an indefinable edge that can be sensed. I know I've mentioned all this in earlier blogs, so I won't repeat it here, but I anticipated yesterday's outcomes for reasons important to me.

Recapping quickly, naturally the Jets are my one real favorite, but a couple of others are special too. I was adopted as a Steeler fan by guys I worked with in the early seventies, when I would root for that team as soon as the Jets blew out of the playoff picture...which was often and early. That was just before the Steeler's became the legend they've grown into now, so they certainly haven't let me down.

I also remember writing a blog in the pre-season about the Packers, who I watched out of curiosity since Nannette Fabrey left them to come screw the Jets and then do in the Vikings. That's when I first saw their new quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, and wrote about him. Because for some unknown reason, I thought he looked like the real deal and so far, it looks like I was right about that one too.

Then there's Pete Carroll, who as I mentioned often before, was sorry to see leave when the Jets let him go after only one season. So, naturally, after pulling for him at USC for the last few years, I'm pleased to see him get the Seahawks into contention in his first season with them.

Then there's Lovie Smith and his quarterback Jay Cutler, whom I've mentioned before too. And although I'm certainly not a rabid Bear fan, nor do I plan to become one, I like both guys a lot as well as Brian Urlacher a linebacker who's tough as they come.

So, all in all, I've got five teams in the running this season, out of the six that are left. And although there's nothing I'd like more than Gang Green winning the Super Bowl, I can't remember ever having so many teams in contention that I've believed to be worthwhile and who I'd root for if push came to shove.

In closing, I certainly know that there's nothing I can do to insure that a team I like can ever win a game, because neither I, nor anyone else who doesn't suit up have that kind of knowledge, skill or power. But, there is something I can do to insure that they lose. And it's pretty simple. All I have to do is place any kind of bet, even a no-money gentleman's handshake and it's the same as the kiss of death for them. Because once I make even the tiniest indication that I really believe they'll win, I know for a well-proven fact -they're over.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment