Friday, January 14, 2011

BloggeRhythms 1/14/2011

It seems to me that most folks must be pretty well used to the fact that large segments of the population believe that the average American has the intellect of a turnip. There are evidences of that everywhere. All kinds of commercials, for example, promote colossal untruths about products, goods, and services twenty four seven, three sixty five, scrounging for whatever suckers they can hook with their come-on's.

And then of, of course, we have politicians who'll say anything to anyone, anytime, anywhere if they think it'll get them a vote. The media too is fraught with bias, disguised in any number of ways to get their particular slant across as if it were unvarnished fact. And we in the public, have all of this drivel foisted on us to the extent that, if we thought about it we'd find their haughty presumption highly insulting.

So, that's why when I read about the situation still roiling at NPR, and their firing of Juan Williams, part of me registered it as a non-event I couldn't care less about, and another part took it as insulting. Because here we have a radio station taking public funds from the citizenry in general and using them to promote a highly-biased political agenda. And then, after firing someone with an opinion out of line with their focus, making the claim that they're advocates of free speech.

What it all boils down to I guess, is that I have no expectation of honesty, fair-play or sincerity in most situations I encounter in life, especially when there's a gain for someone else involved. So I'm really not surprised when others try to put one over on me. But while telling me stories is one thing, and selling me short is another, I find it really revolting when my intelligence is insulted in the process, such as NPR's trying to get me to believe their hogwash about being unbiased.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment