Sunday, January 8, 2017

BloggeRhythms

Much of the current news reportage covers both major political party’s attempts to denigrate each other wherever possible. Regardless of whether what’s being presented is valid, accurate, truthful or not.

In that regard, back on December 31st it was noted here that climatologist and former chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology, Judith Curry, wrote at her popular Climate Etc. blog: “Here’s to hoping the Age of Trump will herald the demise of climate change dogma, and acceptance of a broader range of perspectives in climate science and our policy options,”  

And now, she’s announced her resignation effective immediately, using her blog again to explain her decision.

As a prominent critic of the "consensus" that man-made climate change is an impending catastrophe she wrote: “A deciding factor was that I no longer know what to say to students and postdocs regarding how to navigate the CRAZINESS in the field of climate science. 
Research and other professional activities are professionally rewarded only if they are channeled in certain directions approved by a politicized academic establishment — funding, ease of getting your papers published, getting hired in prestigious positions, appointments to prestigious committees and boards, professional recognition, etc.

“How young scientists are to navigate all this is beyond me, and it often becomes a battle of scientific integrity versus career suicide (I have worked through these issues with a number of skeptical young scientists).” 

And then, as if in full support of Ms Curry’s global-warming skepticism, Mother Nature has now joined in. 

Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D. posted on his website yesterday that: “As predicted here ten days ago, portions of all of the Lower 48 states are below 32 deg. F at 6 a.m. EST this morning.

“The spatial average temperature over the Lower 48 at 6 a.m. is 11 deg. F, which is fully 9 deg. (!) colder than at any time last winter (20 deg. F) which occurred twice in January of 2016.”

While the preceding information fits right into the often mentioned polar vortex characteristics which will continue to produce extremely cold temperatures for the next six years or so, it’s far afield from the next subject: golf.  

Golfing often makes headlines presently because the outgoing POTUS and his successor are both avid participants of the game. In Trump's case, he’s gone so far as to build his own courses here and around the world.

This year's PGA Tour season has also begun, with this week’s “SBS Tournament of Champions” taking place at the Kapalua club in Lahaina, Maui.

The place is familiar because some time ago, a much needed break from a grueling week of managerial meetings held on Maui arose. Taking advantage of the interim, I invited three others to join me in a round at Kapalua’s famous “Plantation” course.

The round was played in typically spectacular Hawaiian weather on perfectly maintained and manicured acreage. Everything moved along exceptionally well until we reached a green on one of the last few holes remaining.

After aligning a putt I was about to strike, standing over the ball concentrating on my target intensely, I drew the putter back slowly only to find that I could not. Something was blocking my backswing.

When I stood up and glanced to my right, there was a very large, plump, duck apparently trying to reach the flap on my golf shoe, thereby blocking my smooth takeaway. When my trio of guests stopped laughing, they helped me attract the bird away. I then quickly swiped at the ball simply to finish the hole, because this huge duck was not about to leave me alone. He just kept coming back, regardless.

After the round, I sought one of the Pro’s in the clubhouse. To tell him about the duck, and how distracting that would surely be to others, something that should be looked into promptly.

That's when he asked me if I had a few minutes to spare for a short ride. Agreeing, but not knowing why, in a couple of minutes we arrived at the golf green in question where he asked me if my associates and I could “read.”

When I frostily snapped, “Certainly! Of course we can read,” he pointed to an opening between several trees surrounding the area. Hanging from one was a large metal can full of grain and dried corn, right below a sign that said in big, bold lettering: “Feed the Duck.”     

That’s it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment