Sunday, May 29, 2011

BloggeRhythms 5/29/2011

My wife was upset with me yesterday, because she felt I was abusive in my remarks about Sarah Palin's plans to ride with Rolling Thunder on Memorial Day. And, while I posted my thoughts anyway, I did water down some of the language I'd typed. Because my original entry included some biker stuff, especially about Ms Palin and Hell's Angels that my spouse thought disgusting.

Nonetheless, I think if Palin's motive was simply her identification with Rolling Thunder's goals -aiding war veterans in need- she should simply put on a helmet and goggles, keep her identity to herself and jump on her Harley and ride. But no, instead there was all kinds of press releases, hoopla and noise. So, I see no need to just sit back and make no comment, she invited the blowback herself.

But, all of that notwithstanding, the Republican party may actually get a candidate worthy of office. Because Rudy may run again, and this time he's recovered his health. What's more, he's the only one in the bunch who's seasoned, been in the breach and is tougher than nails. The kind of guy who'll take on Al Quaeda himself.

And as far as the economy goes, and unions, education and unemployment, he's faced all of that before too, in the biggest fish-bowl in the world and conquered them all.

In his book "Leadership" Rudy discusses the things he believes make for excellence at the top, and I for one, think it's a more than a worthwhile read. Yet, while I was researching for this entry, I found an article in Knowledge Wharton whose author says there's not enough insight in the text to suit him and that it doesn't really teach people how to lead. And to that I reply, it's obvious that the critic isn't a leader himself, and doesn't have a clue about the requirements, because the book is loaded with how to's and insights. But since the critic doesn't recognize them due to lack of leadership instincts, he just sits on the sidelines and barks. Nonetheless, here's a recap the critic wrote in that same review:

"Giuliani spent eight years as mayor of New York City. He went about the business of governing a place that was considered by many to be ungovernable with confidence and the steely will that one would expect from a man whose training for the job had come principally as a prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney's office. But just as Giuliani's tenure was nearing its end, September 11, 2001 occurred. If ever a time called for leadership, that day, and the days and weeks that followed did -- and Giuliani showed even his most ardent critics that he was equal to the task.

He led the people of his city, and indeed, the people of the U.S., in every way: in grieving for the victims, in anger against the perpetrators, and in an unyielding will to rebuild and carry on. All eyes, hearts, and minds turned to Giuliani and remained there until he completed his term as mayor some 90 days later."

So, from someone who felt that Rudy didn't provide enough education in his text, I wonder how much more respect he'd have for the author if the book were more detailed. Because it sounds to me like he thinks the former mayor of New York walks on water already, and it's hard to disagree.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment