Wednesday, March 9, 2022

BloggeRhythms

Don’t know what this has to do exactly with Ukraine or other breaking news, but just like yesterday’s post, there’s a significant parallel that applies.

Yesterday concerned a long ago incident, remindful of “Stetson” once again today.

The office mentioned yesterday contained a long front Customer Service desk. Eight or ten sales personnel sat at their own places behind. Telephoning customers, handling orders, whatever else. All ignored the background noise from the wall mounted telephonic loudspeaker, conditioned to its sound, unless or until a need was heard which they could fulfill.

One morning, when Stetson‘s voice came from the loudspeaker, I was paged to answer. He’d called to inform me that reimbursement for a Wall Street Journal subscription submitted on an expense account was not permitted, therefore wouldn't be reimbursed. “But,” I replied, “it’s certainly a legitimate business expense, I’ve gotten very good information from the Journal, it helps me do my job.” “No matter,” he responded, “policy is policy and the company does not pay for publications.” By then, an ear or two of salespeople at their desks had perked up.

“I don’t understand,” I said,  “I have no use for the Journal myself. I subscribed to look for leads.” Stetson reiterated, “Still no matter, the company does not pay for publications.” A couple more ears perked up, nearby the front desk

I said, “This makes no sense at all. I bought a newspaper subscription to look for leads, found a few, and closed some deals. Even though I earned commissions, the company got the biggest benefit.” Stetson’s reply remained firm, there would be no reimbursement. As far as he was concerned, “That’s that!” Half the salespeople in the Metuchen office were now tuned in.

Angering slightly, demeanor remaining unchanged, I once again questioned the logic in the non-reimbursement policy. Stetson remained steadfast in expense denial. The back and forth continued for a while until Stetson finally said, “Let me tell you a story, Mike.”

“There was this salesman,” he said, “asked to do a favor for his boss and run an errand across town. Travelling back and forth, the salesman lost his hat, putting the $20.00 cost on his next expense account.” Stetson continued, “When the reimbursement was denied, the salesman complained to his manager. After all, he’d done a favor for his boss, lost his hat and now couldn’t get the money back. “That makes no sense whatsoever,” the salesman said, even more upset, getting louder.

“Okay, okay,” the boss replied, “here’s what to do. On your next few expense reports add a buck here and there to legitimate expenses, gasoline, customer lunches, whatever, until you get your $20.00 back that way.” By now, all the salespeople at their desks in Metuchen listened in.

“I don’t understand,” I replied to Stetson, “I’m trying to get my money back for the Wall Street Journal, and you’re talking about salesman’s hats.”

Frustration creeping in, Stetson said, “Don’t you see, Mike, this salesman did a favor for his boss, lost his hat, and when he couldn’t get the cost reimbursed, his boss told him how to do it, by adding a few bucks to other, acceptable, expenses.”

I replied, “I still don’t understand why, when I’m talking about a Wall Street Journal subscription, you keep talking about lost hats.”  Giggles began from the Metuchen sales crew, nearby the front desk.

Somewhat louder, Stetson slowly repeated the lost hat story, making sure every word to be clear and precise, “Why don’t you see the comparison, Mike?,” and on from there. My response remained the same, telling him it wasn’t understood as to why he kept talking about hats when all I wanted was my money back for the Wall Street Journal. By this time, laughter louder, the Metuchen sales crew worried they’d be overheard in the background by Stetson.

Louder still, sounding somewhat strangled, Stetson tried again to make himself clear, v…e...r…y  s…l…o…w…l…y enunciating each syllable, my calm response about not understanding stayed the same.

By now, a couple of the Metuchen salesforce had to leave the room, unable to contain their growing laughter.

Now almost unable to talk, a thoroughly frustrated Stetson stammered, “Okay, Mike, next time I see you, I’ll give you the four or five bucks myself,” loudly walking away from the telephonic microphone on his end.

As the Metuchen sales crew stood at their desks, applauding, I slightly bowed before returning to my office.

Over time, reaching the position of Senior Vice President of Sales, Marketing and Field Operations of the largest, most successful entity of its type ever created in our industry, Eaton Financial Corporation, 125 of our own 500 employees salespeople, things such as disputed sales expenses would never have taken up an hour or more of valuable sales time, much less precluded eight or ten others from doing their own tasks to boot. However, intelligence is intelligence, and focus is focus. Thus when forests can’t be seen because of the trees, individual’s limitations can affect us all.

Similarly, when intellectual ciphers in important positions can’t grasp the fact that unavailable, yet to be created alternative sources of energy don’t exist, shutting down the lifeblood fuels relied upon by industry and the population anyway, such decisions are inane. Not a drop of sense existent, the enormity of incapability is incalculable.

Which is why, when a Regional Manager like Stetson assumes responsibility far past his capabilities, though laughable, costs can be enormous. I’ve no idea as to whatever became of him.

And when deluded barmaids go from mixing drinks, pulling drafts, asking things like, “Would you like an olive or lemon twist with that?” to influencing direction of a 23 trillion dollar national budget, the cost of a barrel of oil goes from $40.00 to $128.00, crippling the entire economy of the greatest nation in the world. The magnitude of that idiocy is something that should be heard by all on a nationwide speakerphone, so that rational citizens can fix the issue in voting booths next time around.

That’s it for today folks.

Adios

PS: Tending bar, the Bronx  Congresswoman said, “Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment