Monday, March 28, 2011

BloggeRhythms 3/28/2011

While citizens of various countries in the Middle-East spent the weekend trying their best to blow each other off the map, another battle took place right here in the U.S. This one was in Orlando, Florida at Bay Hill Club and Resort, the home course of Arnold Palmer and his annual Arnold Palmer Invitational Golf Tournament.

While the tournament itself was exciting, fought right down to the very last hole, there was another aspect to it that prompted this writing.

As I've often mentioned before, I watch most sporting events with the sound off, mainly because there's little that sportscasters say that I care about, and as far as the events themselves are concerned I can see what's going on myself. Beyond that, the blaring of constant inane commercials really drives me bats. But, in Arnie's case it's different because he spends considerable time in the broadcast booth himself, and I think he's someone well worth listening to.

Consequently, since I actually listened to a lot that was said, not only by Arnie himself but others, I certainly got a reconfirmation of my regard for him, but also about the game itself. And the really glaring point was the very high level of simple respect paid by everyone involved in the tournament, which I believe is practically absent in all other sports today.

For starters, all the on-air people called him "Mr. Palmer" though he's known throughout the world as "Arnie." The only exception was lead announcer Johnny Miller, a living legend himself, who's well-earned the right of familiarity. And as far as the golfers went, most are relatively young, but regardless, the general consensus was that aside from winning the contest, a highly respected test of golf, a goal was to be given the trophy by the "King" himself, something that the player would remember and respect for the rest of their life.

So, in a sports world that's largely become "me first and the Hell with everyone else" it's nice to see that there's still one left where players have a sense of history and an appreciation for those who paved the way for them. And especially in the case of Arnold Palmer who built the game of modern golf.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment