Saturday, March 19, 2011

BloggeRhythms 3/19/2001

Flipping channels the other day, I came across an interview with Arnold Palmer. He was showing the interviewer around his home and workshop. And as I watched I realized that from his start in professional sports, he's maintained a particular kind of class and dignity which combined with his talent has set him head and shoulders above most athletes, particularly those self-serving dolts we see today in just about every sport.

While mentioning to my wife how Arnie's quiet expertise comes through and the significant impression he still makes, she said "Why don't you write and tell him. I'm sure he'll appreciate it." So that's what I did.

I wrote and told him the first time I'd seen him in person was at the U.S. Open tournament at Winged Foot Golf Club in Mamaroneck, NY in 1959. I followed in his gallery as best I could on the Saturday round, and although the course layout and crowds, even then, prevented seeing every shot, I saw plenty of his golf.

But, as I told Arnie in my letter, what really impressed me significantly was when his round was finished. Because he came out to the crowd, told everyone not to push, shove, or worry, and that he'd get to us all however long it took. And then, that's exactly what he did.

As I sit here and type, that framed score-sheet signed by Arnie is hanging over my desk where its been since I got it. And though I saw just about every other top golfer in the world that day as I traveled the golf course, his was the only autograph I wanted.

And now I have another of his signatures up there on my wall, because he personally answered my letter to thank me for thinking of him and remembering for all these years, which goes to prove my original point. Arnie had more class, grace, style and sincerity way back in 1959 than just about all of his competition. But more importantly, and best of all...he's still got plenty of it.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment