Wednesday, August 8, 2012

BloggeRhythms 8/8/2012

Scanning the news this morning, I came across this link on the Fox website: “Ad links Romney to death of steelworker's wife, campaign decries 'contemptible effort.”

I didn’t click on the link, don’t care what it says and have no curiosity about it whatsoever. And that’s what set me to thinking about political ads altogether. Because, I fail to se their value.

I’ve been around for a while now, and have been involved in sales and marketing for most of my professional career. And in my experience, most competent folks buy on facts, proven track records of providers, and accurately documented data presented. Almost no one -except perhaps those who have no other hope or alternative-relies on any sort of hype, unfounded promise or smoke.

Beyond that, for many, many years now, everyone’s been bombarded with ads for everything imaginable on earth, 24/7/365 and if they’re anything like I am, simply tune them out. And in that regard, as I’ve noted here many times before, when watching TV, I most often don’t even turn the sound on at all. In cases, however, when I do turn up the volume, I switch to an alternative commercial-free station during the two minutes or so of ads.

So, what all this leads me to conclude is that except for those who are truly naïve, immature or extremely gullible, most ads have little meaning in general. And when it comes to politics in particular they’re exactly what one should expect –one side smearing the other in every way they can cook up, dream, or imagine regardless of truth or proof. Therefore, few with any intellect would believe them whatsoever.

Consequently, although the statistics on political advertising might indicate they were causative when the actual results concur with their their efforts, I believe the reverse to be true. I think that when the winner’s are one’s who spent the most on ads, that statistic happened to coincide with what the voting public decided for itself.

That’s it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment