Friday, October 14, 2011

BloggeRhythms 10/14/2011

When I asked my severest critic this morning her thoughts about my most recent entry, my wife replied that lately I've written as if I'm very angry. My immediate response was that, no, I'm not really angry, I'm just offering my opinions on what I see in the news.

But then I gave the matter some more thought, and have to agree with her since, as usual, she's correct. In fact, I'm not only angry, I'm frustrated too, because I'm tired of being treated as if I'm a fool by others who are either in power or have access to public forums, and use them to try to sell or persuade me that they have my best interests at heart when they're nothing more than self-serving slugs.

Starting at the top we have politicians who's only goal is to garner as much for themselves as they can from others, while telling you they're saving you from the evils of their rivals. And I find it curious that many of these devoted folks, if not most, such as those retired presidents who spent lifetimes in relatively low-paying public office, soon after leaving those posts wind up multi-millionaires. I think that even the simplest arithmetic proves that's a pretty big return from making speeches and selling books.

Then we have high-profile business-folks, such as Warren Buffett and Gary Immelt, telling us that paying more taxes is a good thing, and more of those who are successful should willingly want to chip in. Yet, oddly enough, both of these guys have an inside track to the administration and arrange sweetheart deals.

Beyond that, according to the New York Post, Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, the eighth-largest public company in the world according to Forbes, openly admits to still owing taxes for years 2002 through 2004 and 2005 through 2009. And as far as Immelt's GE goes, also according to Forbes magazine, they pay no U.S. taxes at all and for 2010 are actually getting a $3.2 billion refund from the Treasury.

Then there are the protesters, who like aging fish and house guests, are getting a little bit hard to take anymore, who are now being joined not only by Dem politicians, but Hollywood types too. And what interests me most is that the Hollywoodites, and some guy who owned a huge debit-card business, agree that Wall Street and the banks are crooks. They claim that the folks controlling all that money do nothing more than lie, cheat and steal and should give all of it back to the "people."

However, I saw a list of the highest profile folks from the land of the fruits and the nuts, like Alec Baldwin, Michael Moore, Susan Sarandon and so on, which also listed their approximate net worths. And, not surprisingly, most of them are as financially well off as many of those folks they hate right up the block in Wall Street towers. So, since this is still America, they're free to join Buffet and Immelt and give away as much of their wealth as they want. Which leads me to ask: Why do I always hear them talk about why everybody with bucks should give it back, but all they themselves do is yap and yap and never throw in a quarter of their own?

So, going back to the beginning, I guess my wife's correct. I am ticked off and after typing all the preceding, when I read it back, I should be. Because people are absolutely free to say and do whatever they choose within the law. So I have no argument with the premise. But when folks who are nothing more than phonies, self-serving parasites, or outright thieves expect me to buy their BS, they insult my intelligence and that makes me angry. And especially so when the stuff they try to get me to swallow is so full of holes, only Liberal voters would believe it.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment