Monday, March 29, 2010

BloggeRhythms 3/29/2010

Just got a request from someone in a governmental department. It seems they're working on a project that requires some information I can likely provide as an "expert" in a particular subject. My expertise was discovered by them as they were searching for someone to assist them. They found me via the web, and may need me in the future.

The reason I mention it now is because it reminded of another situation whence another organization needed something, quite some time ago in my business career. I was in the equipment financing business at the time.

I came into my office one afternoon, after spending the morning calling on customers. There was a note on my desk that Mr. So and So had called from American Express. I picked up the phone and called him back.

It turned out that American Express desired to lease some office equipment. Not the largest request I'd ever seen, but a sizable configuration, nonetheless. Naturally, I went to work with my calculator, then called Mr. So and So back to inform him of the details of my proposed financial solution. He replied "Fine, please get the paperwork to me ASAP, so we may enter the agreement."

I was quite taken a back with his reply. I'd expected at least a few questions, certainly some attempt at negotiation, or more than likely, a terse "Thank you for your quotation, I'll call you back." That was the way almost every major business entity conducted business. If nothing else, all of them did their financial "shopping" homework, with very sharp pencils in their hands.

Nonetheless, I did as Mr. So and So requested and had the contracts delivered to him forthwith. To my even greater surprise, I received them back without delay, executed as required, without one single question. That, my Bloggeroo's out there, is unheard of.

I was now extremely nervous about this transaction. Was this for real? Businesses don't act like that. Especially household names ones. Was someone setting me up? I'd done sufficient research on my own to determine that I was in fact dealing with the real Magilla, but now I still wasn't so sure.

To move on with the tale, within a short while the equipment was delivered and installed, and by agreement that's when the contract really took effect and the customer began to make payments. And, lo and behold, that's what happened. The customer lived up to its obligations without a hitch, and the transaction was indeed valid. So what was the story? How had this all gone so smoothly?

Curiosity was killing me and the transaction was now cast in stone, I had nothing to lose. So, I called Mr. So and So and asked. "Why me? Your organization has its pick of any financial entity on the planet. How in the world did you get us?"

He replied, "the Yellow Pages," to which I said, "What?"

He said again, "the Yellow Pages." You see, he went on, when I need something like financing, I employ a simple test. I pick up the phone, call companies listed in the phone book and leave a very short message. I'm "Mr. So and So" I say, "Please call me back." And the fact of the matter is, when practically everyone I call for the first time sees that message -they got a call from American Express- hardly anyone ever calls me back. They all simply assume they owe us money and I'm calling to collect it.

"So, you see, by calling me right back, you answered two of my most important
questions. A. Yes, you were still in business. and B. You likely paid your bills on time and weren't worried. That goes a long way with me when it comes to doing business."

The little tale above illustrates something I've been writing about in different ways since I started this blog. People are much more measured by what they do then whatever it is they say. So advertising, promotion, rhetoric and all kinds of other noise aside, if people just go out and fulfill whatever it is they promise, they're far more likely to succeed.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment