Wednesday, March 17, 2010

BloggeRhythms 3/17/2010

St. Patrick's Day. Although I'm not Irish, I certainly have many close friends whom are. And, that's good enough for me to feel that this is a very big day indeed.

I grew up in the city and remember from when I was quite young the excitement of the parade. Living on the East Side, the corps of marchers and bands organized themselves in the streets near my house and then made their way a block or two west to begin their trek down Fifth Avenue. My friends, Irish and otherwise, and I ran alongside the marchers all afternoon long until we tired ourselves out.

In later years I came to appreciate additional aspects of the celebration, particularly when I was allowed to enter the pubs. On March 17th midtown Manhattan was really the place to be. That was the day when you realized just how many folks in the city were firemen and cops. Of course, for the folks I knew best at that time and me, heaven was PJ Clark's.

In recent times, now that I'm older and perhaps wiser, I find there are less trying ways to celebrate the day then trying to bull my way into the most popular taverns on Earth. A very good friend has for years held a gathering for his constituents in the town where he served loyally as Mayor. Though I'm not a resident, I was always invited. Alas, he's recently relocated, but there's a reasonable chance he'll decide to come back.

As for today, I'm not without an alternative as to where to hoist a beer. In fact, I'm on my way soon to one of my favorite local spots. What's even better, they're serving corned beef and cabbage.

That's it for today folks.

How do you say "Adios" in Gaelic?

No comments:

Post a Comment