Monday, March 5, 2012

BloggeRhythms 3/5/2012

Determining subject matter each day, I draw on multiple areas of information, hoping to find issues and things readers will find interesting and entertaining. Most often, the material comes from my own experience, items in broadcast news and scanning of many websites. And today, a caption on the Drudge Report caught my eye.

Although the article I read has to do with politics, specifically Rick Santorum's campaign, it wasn't the politics that interested me; my curiosity piqued from the headline "Rick Santorum accuses Drudge Report of being a Mitt Romney cheerleader."

In the article itself in, MailOnline, Bryan Blunt, a director of a cable television company from Mesa, Arizona waved a sign saying "Drudge Backs Mitt. AZ Picks Rick!!" right in front of the stage at a Santorum rally in Phoenix on February 21st. And way back in January, Fred Thompson, a Gingrich "surrogate," said on NBC's Meet The Press that the Romney campaign "has Drudge in their back pocket."

Mr. Blunt went on to say that both Drudge and Fox News had now joined the GOP establishment. "Drudge was not part of the establishment in my mind until this election cycle. Now he is absolutely part of the mainstream media. He's not the only one. Fox News is guilty of it. When Rick had his trifecta on February 7th, I was watching Fox News and it looked like they all stepped in poop."


My thought about all of this, however, comes from a different angle altogether. Because the reason I use Drudge for information is that there's no political slant at all. His website's a list of headlines and writers that link you to almost any subject you can think of. So, if you really want another slant on things, aside from Fox you can click on links to CNN, CNBC, or The New York Times among a slew of others.


And that brings me back to my original point, which is the question as to why these Santorum supporters think that because articles on Drudge mention Romney wins and Santorum gaffes, Drudge is therefore a Romney fan. Because in reality, all that's been done is a printing of facts as seen by various reporters.

Consequently, I don't think these Santorum fans have a problem with Drudge; their dilemma really rests with their candidate individually who often tends to bury himself without anyone else's help at all.

And whatever the truth is about Drudge's alleged support for Romney, Bryan Blunt turned out to be wrong about Arizona picking Santorum, because last Tuesday, Romney won there by 20 points. Beyond that, this week Drudge also linked to a Hot Air article, "Lazarus Rising Again" that pleased Gingrich so much he publicized it on his Facebook page. All of which, I think, helps me make my case regarding Drudge’s neutrality.

That’s it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment