Thursday, March 15, 2012

BloggeRhythms 3/15/2012

There's an article from London's Telegraph on-line headlined "Soldiers asked to disarm during Leon Panetta speech in Afghanistan." In it, the author, Raf Sanchez,  in Washington DC explains that "Around 200 troops who had gathered in a tent at Camp Leatherneck were told 'something had come to light' and were asked abruptly to file outside and lay down their automatic rifles and 9mm pistols. 

I mention it because I think it offers the best example of our military's low opinion of the current administration's foreign policy that I've seen so far. Because fear that our own soldiers might shoot the nation's Secretary of Defense says an awful lot about how far tensions have risen, and I doubt there's anybody who knows more about the subject than our folks in uniform.

According to the article, "Major General Mark Gurganus later said he gave the order because Afghan troops attending the talk were unarmed and he wanted the policy to be consistent for all. You've got one of the most important people in the world in the room." Apparently he insisted that the decision was unrelated to Sunday's killings, saying "This is not a big deal."

As for me, I'm sorry to disagree with the general, but this is the first time I've ever heard of U.S. soldiers being asked to disarm when a Defense Secretary showed up anywhere in the world and to me it certainly is a big deal. So my next question is, if administration representatives visit one of our carriers will they have to toss the armed aircraft overboard?

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment