Sunday, September 5, 2010

BloggeRhythms 8/5/2010

Since there's still TNBNT, I can continue yesterday's theme. Because although I meant what I wrote about the public education vacuum, some might have thought my beliefs a bit extreme. But then I was talking to a friend last evening who not only agreed with my conclusions, but began a discussion questioning about how kids really learn today.

After I'd considered his question a moment, a light went on. Because many of today's kids seem well-informed for their ages, know accurate details and facts, yet aren't getting that input from teachers. So, where's the knowledge coming from? The obvious answer, staring me right in the face even as I sit here and type, is computerization and the Internet.

And, as I said to my friend yesterday, that led me to another question to which I think I found an interesting answer. What single person has done more for education in the U.S. today than the entire 4,685,708 individuals in the public school system put together. The obvious answer: Bill Gates.

Because, between computer programs operating on software he created and providing access to the Internet, theres' more information available to kids today than in any library I've ever heard of. Even the Library of Congress's volumes have been digitized, one way or another. They can pick any subject they want, do a Google search and the most current information appears instantaneously on their screens. In most cases, they'll find access to hundreds of thousands of pages, some going back for years and years. In fact, that's often how I double check the accuracy of the data in my own daily BloggeRhythms.

What's more, as compared to the value of information doled out in today's schools, downloaded information's far more accurate and timely than what's in any outdated textbooks written by some biased "educators." Because, for the sake of "political correctness," avoidance of lawsuits for slander, and poorly smoke-screened political agendas the pap published in academia is so watered down, slanted, biased and downright untrue it's not worth the paper its printed on. Consequently, the kids aren't being educated at all in school, they're being brain-washed.

And, aside from the value of instant access to just about any information one could reasonably need, what else has Mr. Gates accomplished, teaching wise? Well, in order to gain access to the wonders of mind-stimulating programs and information, even if it's only to play games, kids have to read. Better yet, they have to learn how to type. And, the only way they can get better, or out-score themselves is to read and type still better and faster. So, what do you think the average kid's going to prefer, going sword to sword with Darth Vader in a digitized struggle of life and death, or trudging through some endless tome about some huckleberry named Finn?

So, I guess the questions really are, what do today's kids have to learn to survive and succeed and then, where do they acquire the necessary knowledge? As for me, I further disbelieve their education's deriving from schools, because computer savvy kids seem considerably brighter and more articulate than most of the teachers I've ever encountered. Beyond that, computerization gives kids access to information they need and want, not some archaic curricula chosen by elitist esthete's.

I myself, for example took a chemistry course in high school, and except for the hours in class can't think of a time where I've ever needed, wanted or used a formula ever since, with the exception of the bottles of it I gave to my infant kids. Aside from that, the only dissected frogs I've seen outside of a park or in the woods since school came on a plate (legs only) smothered in garlic butter, herbs and spices and cost about twenty bucks. Then again, I might have saved that money had I studied French on-line and known what I'd ordered, because it was a really bad mistake...those leg things are just awful.

I'm sure that the longer I sit here, the stronger I can support my point, but I believe I've already made it. And, going back to yesterday's entry, while my jotting might have seemed a bit extreme when I typed it, reading back my own words today makes me conclude once more that if all the public school educators suddenly disappeared for whatever reason...education-wise, no one would notice at all or care.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment