Wednesday, February 9, 2011

BloggeRhythms 2/9/2011

I read something quite interesting to me on Fox News' website this morning. They say there's a new trend toward hiring U.S. residents as Customer Service Representatives for telephone contact with customers. The change is due to consumer complaints and high unemployment which, they say, may help reverse the trend of outsourcing customer service jobs to developing countries.

The article says that, "In the last 10 years, over one million jobs have been sent to India or the Philippines in the customer service call center space alone," said Angela Selden, CEO of Arise Virtual Solutions. "What companies discovered was that, while that was great from a cost perspective, what they were losing was the connection with the customer."

The reason I was so interested in the information is because I have a huge dislike of being pestered at home. In fact, my number's been on the "Do Not call List" for many years, which works pretty well. But, every now and then some caller does try and call.

Most often, I simply bark something unprintable to them, about their families, friends, children and dogs and then hang right up. If I have time, and am really bored I invite them over, so I can take out my hostility toward them with a baseball bat or broken bottle. (If you read my books you know that I know some stuff about street fighting, weapons and martial arts.)

But, back to the theme of the article. Since this horrible trend has begun, callers have been employed who have what I'd describe as language problems. And that's really irked me because, not only are they taking my time, tying up my phone and wanting to get me to listen to them try to speak about something I have no interest in whatsoever, they can't even deliver their message clearly. That's why I'll sometimes let them ramble on, and after their long spiel, I'll ask, "What? Were you talking to me? I'm sorry, what did you say? I didn't understand you." Then, as they start over again, I hang up on them mid-sentence.

While I don't waste my time like that too often, I still get momentary pleasure thinking about the money some company wasted by calling me. My only hope is, there are lots of others out there like me. And, perhaps there are, if the article's right and the trend is reversing. Meanwhile, maybe the callers will simply go broke, which would be very nice.

Lastly, there's this new one, where someone calls and says something like, "Hi. How are you today? My name is Laverne, and I'm a professional fund raiser." My reply to that one is, "Congratulations. Glad you finally found someone dumb enough to employ you. Hope you rip off millions." And then, I hang right up.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment