Thursday, February 3, 2011

BloggeRhythms 2/3/2011

I've never really been a Super Bowl fan, for several reasons. First and foremost, as a Jet fan I've really only had one opportunity to see them in the event because they've only gotten there once. So, I've got no real reason to watch.

On the other hand, I've mentioned before that due to business associates from the Pittsburgh area, I developed a secondary interest in the Steelers and was fortunate to watch all their Super Bowl wins in their glory years because they were truly a great team. Hall of Famer's from wall to wall.

Beyond that, also because of folks I worked with, I became aware of the Niners when Bill Walsh and Joe Montana were with San Francisco and developed an interest in them.

But, aside from my two default teams, I can't remember watching any other teams play in the year-end game. And it's not because of the teams so much, though I usually don't care who wins, it's because the game doesn't seem like football to me at all. I get the feeling that Super Bowl day is simply a huge magnet for people who don't know what a first down is, but they'll show up in the stands or the bars or, worse yet, parties, simply because they know its an "event."

So what that means is, everyone tied to the game itself from the NFL, to the sponsors, to the networks and the press and anyone else you can think of, gloms onto the game and blows everything out of proportion. The pre-game stuff goes on for eons, the commercials get longer and louder, though I doubt anyone knows whats being huckstered nor cares, and at half time they bring in a three ring circus or some international band that's stoned on drugs and has no clue as to where they are.

What made me think of this today is an item I read on the web. One of the news commentators, Shepard Smith from Fox, listed his reasons for watching:

Two historic football teams
The commercials
Excuse to eat greasy good
Watch crazy Steeler and Packer fans
The halftime show

So here's a guy who fits right in with typical day-trippers who tune in the game. Football itself, though it heads his list, is only 20% of his reason for watching.

Consequently, for folks like Smith -and most viewers I think are much like him- the game itself has less appeal than the smoke and the hype that has nothing to do with football. And that's why commercialization far overrides the sport for the NFL and the sponsors. It's also why I've seen very few Super Bowls altogether, less and less as years go by. And if I did watch for some reason...I'd never turn the sound on and would be absolutely sure to have another channel to flip to every time anything else appeared on my screen other than the game itself.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment