Friday, June 25, 2010

BloggeRhythms 6/25/2010

I write two kinds of stuff. My recent books are fiction while my blog either reports or repeats fact. One of the most difficult aspects for authors of fiction is creating stories, characters and situations that, while made up from thin air, seem to have a basis or relationship to fact. Of course there are those who write about space aliens, science fiction, fairy tales and such other fantasies, but I'm not one of them.

The reason I'm starting today's entry this way is, that lately, while I'm sitting here wracking my brain to create fiction that resembles fact for my novels, the news is full of stories that are fact, but beyond anyone's imagination. I mean, no matter how hard one tried, I don't think you could make this stuff up. Especially what comes out of D.C. If I put stories like these in my books, they'd probably lock me up for lunacy.

Yesterday General McChrystal stepped down from his job of heading our action in Afghanistan because he told the truth about how we're mis-handling the war to Rolling Stone magazine. He then went on to list what was needed to win. Since the truth was unbecoming to the so-called Commander-in-Chief, he asked for, and got, McChrystal's resignation. Now today, I was flipping channels and see a blurb that says General Petraeus is announcing a new strategy in Afghanistan. And what is it? Why it's McChrystal's very plan that he told to the press.

But, not to worry. I think McChrystal will wind up on Fox TV like Detective Mark Fuhrman from the O.J. trial and also write a couple of best-selling books.

Then there's Harold Hurtt, a former police chief in Houston and Phoenix, who's been hired as the director for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Office of State and Local Coordination, starting July 6. When he was chief of police he favored leaving illegal immigrants alone unless they seriously broke the law. He said it took too much manpower and time for a busy police department to deal with illegals. So in effect he was saying it was somebody else's job to send illegals home. Now, he's at the top of the whole issue and says not to worry. He'll do a good job protecting our borders.

In the same vein, the current Chief of Police of Phoenix said it doesn't look good for the war on drugs coming out of Mexico because (now get this one) the cartel heads have issued a warning. They said they're using state-of-the-art AK47's and have the police out-gunned. So, if the cops know what's good for them, they better not put up a fight. Now, according to the police chief, the cartel guys are right because his department doesn't have enough budget to out-gun the thugs. I guess it's like Yakov Smirnoff, the Russian comedian said "What a country."

Then there's Illinois's "Rod" Blagojevich. He's asked that a host of Dem's testify at his trial for selling government favors, including White House chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel. Since this involves the Chicago machine that's notorious for corruption there's a glimmer that this might go further up. The president's already testified on tape, but not under oath in court. (Gee, why did I just get a mind-flash of Bill Clinton?) I guess I'll have to stay tuned on that one.

So, like I said at the start, it's a shame I can't use any of this stuff for my books, because nobody would believe it. But, then again if I did use it after all, maybe they'd lock us all up together. Then, when my sentence was over, I'd have enough to write a whole library of books about what these guys do in the real world and call it fiction. Who knows. I might become the next Stephen King.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment