Friday, June 11, 2010

BloggeRhythms 6/11/2010

Nothing new for a change, aside from the day-to-day about the oil spill. Except, now the heads of big oil are on their way to DC for a grilling next week. I expect that the grilling will be important to these moguls of oildom, because they don't come to the Capitol too often. So, this will give them a chance to question congress-people personally, about how their oil money's being spent.

Because usually the oil barons themselves wouldn't stoop to address elected officials, they just let their lobbyists tell Congress folks what to do. It should be interesting to see the congress-people squirm under personal fire from pro's and the threat of losing all that income if they don't back off and shut up.

And today I've got a similar case personally, because I've been told to shut up too. By my wife. She feels I was wrong yesterday in writing up the brouhaha in the bar. In her opinion, the matter was personal, between a patron and an employee and thus, none of anyone else's business.

I felt, on the other hand, since we weren't even there when it happened I wasn't telling tales out of school, I was merely reiterating news as it was told to me. What's more, I didn't name the people involved, the place where it happened or even what town we were in. I was only interested in the story as an event and thought it proved a point about what bartenders have to go through in the normal course of business, and why I think the good ones are among the most talented people you can find in any occupation.

And, what I left out was that the fact that, apparently, the dispute I mentioned took place in the early evening. But, had it been later, where there likely would have been more of an alcoholic effect, there probably would have been much more of a scene and maybe the drawing of weapons.

So, for the record, my only point was to illustrate the difficulty of tending bar and putting up with every day situations and how good one must be to do that well. And the hero of my books, Bobby Cole, wasn't chosen without thought or consideration.

I needed somebody tough, smart, considerate, insightful and a good, fast judge of character to boot to handle the things that arise. And, in my opinion, the best occupation to draw from when you need those traits and characteristics are bartenders by far. Case closed.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment