Thursday, May 6, 2010

BloggeRhythms 5/6/2010

Forgot to mention that I went for a scan on Monday and all came out clean. That makes four years since they fixed my bladder cancer. It also reminded me that it's been quite some time since I've had anything to write about my own condition. In all then, I guess that's pretty good.

As far as what was done for me goes, medically that is, I think the most important thing in the whole ordeal was, I was very lucky. Not about getting cancer of course, but where I was when it happened. Because for lots of different reasons, none of them medical, I happened to have nearby access to one of the best hospitals and staffs in the country.

The particular facility, North Shore Hospital in Manhasset, NY is known to be a first rate institution and has for many years earned and enjoyed that reputation. For quite some time now the place has expanded considerably, merged with another legendary medical colossus, Long Island Jewish Hospital, and further acquired myriad other hospitals, clinics, medical service providers and the like. On Long Island it seems their name is everywhere.

And, I suppose, that's why I'm writing this entry today, because I was thinking about their name. In the case of North Shore, their "name" was earned by the doctors, nurses, supporting staff and administration who built that place, medically speaking, brick by brick. Enough of a foundation was established over the years that still today patients have a relatively high probability of getting first-rate diagnosis and treatment.

I think, however, had I wound up in one of North Shore's other locations, my whole experience would likely have been totally different. Because, even having been a patient in North Shore's premiere, showcase, original location I could write page upon page in this blog about how and when I was treated ineptly there by incompetent clods.

Now, I don't necessarily blame the hospital entirely for ineptitude because the underlying issues of incompetence isn't really its fault. To get to the bottom of that disaster you have to start at the schools. Because, it seems to me that if those graduating at the so-called "top" of their classes are mind-numb to begin with, hospitals and other entities requiring well-educated staffs aren't really able to find them. Primarily because they don't exist.

And that brings me to the point I'm perusing today. If my own experience shows me that there's still a high degree of chance of maltreatment that a patient faces even when in the care of one of the finest medical institutions on the planet, what do the odds look like in lesser places? From horror stories I've heard from others I'd guess the probability of mis-diagnosis, maltreatment and incompetence are pretty high.

Well then, if what I've written is even close to being correct, what happens when you take what exists in the health care system and water it down some more? The obvious answer is, it dramatically deteriorates even further. Beside that, if there are those in the medical profession today who are inept, don't care, or aren't able, what happens when not only they don't care, but the system doesn't care either?

I jokingly suggested here yesterday that it wouldn't surprise me if grossly upset American voters decided to flee across the Mexican border and perhaps Arizona-like fences might be needed by Mexico to keep them out. Today's suggestion is for Canada which might face the very same problem when sickly Americans head up there. Because although their medical system stacks up as one of the worst in the world, there's a pretty high likelihood in a few years it will rate better than ours.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment