Monday, April 19, 2010

BloggeRhythms 4/19/2010

Yesterday's entry addressed some thoughts about tenure and nepotism, simply because someone had mentioned the subjects.

And the writing set me to thinking once again. One thing I pondered was something a friend of mine has told me more than once. He says I often take a different view of what goes on in the world, and hence, some of my beliefs surprise him.

Naturally, I disagree and think that while my friend might label me a contrarian, in reality I'm not. It's just that I'm sometimes more willing to say aloud what I think, when others prefer to appear more "mainstream" or perhaps, politically correct. And that introduction brings me to today's thoughts.

One of the things I briefly mentioned yesterday was that I think tenure tends to inbreed mediocrity and a watering down of quality in particular occupations, such as civil service and education. While civil service is what it is and there are myriad reasons for that, education, on the other hand, is of wide concern and a hand-wringing disaster for most.

I just don't see it that way. Because, in the long run, who's really responsible for anyone's education, store of knowledge or intellectual performance? Well, my answer to that one is: the student, of course. For those in this world really wanting to succeed it's up to them to learn what they must, and if the mandated educational process doesn't do enough for them, they've got to find other ways to get that done. There are many, I'm sure whom think mine is a terrible position to take. Because, considering how many are not being helped today, how can one be so cold about it?

The answer to that one, I believe, is first to define the goal. If that goal is to become some kind of expert or professional where absorption of prescribed matter is a key to success, such as becoming an academician perhaps, than it's true; "quality" schooling is a must. But, if the object is to succeed in the "real" world, such as business and subjects related, or practically any other kind of endeavor, other types of smarts and learning serve quite well.

Consequently, in occupations where "formal" academic accomplishment is not specifically needed to succeed, the cream quite often rises to the top without it. And for those achievers the state of the educational system in the U.S. today is a Godsend. Because, those they compete with whom have been educated by the "system" are no competition at all. For the most part, comparatively speaking, as far as formal education goes, the crippled, blind and broken are leading the infirmed.

Most often, I believe, achievers take every advantage possible to educate themselves. They learn their trade, immerse themselves in professional knowledge and spend their time furthering their capabilities and enhancing their talent. On the other hand, the mass of humanity that sits and watches the world go by groans and moans about how the system is broken, screams that more funds need be thrown at the problem, and threatens powers that be that they're in danger of losing the vote because of the downfall of education.

Well, I've got some news for those that sit by the wayside and wring their hands, beseeching someone to help them. While their offspring are sitting in the cafeteria trying to read and understand the sign that says "Watch Your Coat," the go-getter's and achievers are sidling up to the tables and stealing their offspring's lunches.

That's it for today folks

Adios

2 comments:

  1. I spoke with the friend you mentioned in the beginning of your blog, and he disagrees with your description of what he said. He did not mean to say that you are a contrarian. Rather, he thinks that you think differently than most. This thought process many times results in a brilliant insight. However, the path taken to get to that insight is often quite unique. For example, your friend told me he was shocked to hear of your admiration of Jeffrey Immelt's management skills. Yet, when you explained to him how you came to this opinion, he understood exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Son is back againApril 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM

    Now, if I may speak for a moment, being directly related to the author, thus, directly affected by this philosophy, so I can safely say I am more of an expert on this subject than the author because I am one of his only 2 scientific subjects, the philosophy is a little broken and just as dependant on the subject as its teachers in many cases.
    Take athletes for example, there those who just go pick up a baseball, or swing a golf club, or get on a bike with no training wheels and ride. Then there are those who need to have the ball thrown to them to see if they can catch and throw it back, or a natural righty needs to be given lefty golf clubs so you can keep an eye on him in the driving range and let him mirror your swing, or hold the back of their bicycle seat for a few feet as they get started down the road – Some pros need to be spotted and nurtured as others are utter naturals. Like a plant that needs to be moved in the sun where others have no obstruction.
    You may think from this I wish I was ‘pushed’ in a different direction in life or handed the keys the front door, not exactly, because if I had no interest in the business I would sell it too, and not because I am mediocre, I just want different things, but, I do sometimes think what if...? As we all do. So there are no regrets, but now having my own subjects to experiment on I have different proven examples of how one achieves [or finds] success. So, I don’t like the hand me down business analogy – It doesn’t make your point. And I better than anyone the author knows understands what the author thinks he is saying.
    And MY point is merely this… you don’t have to be a self-starter to be gifted… you sometimes need yourself to be started to find your gift.

    ReplyDelete