Thursday, April 1, 2010

BloggeRhythms 4/1/2010

Today started out pretty good until I realized it's April 1st. So, I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out if it was all a joke.

But, assuming folks aren't kidding me, it looks like the biggest hurdles to the publication of my newest book were finally cleared. That means that, after reviewing and approving the review copy, Cole Calling will at last hit the book stores.

I thought that the way I finally accomplished overcoming the technical publication issues was clever indeed. Though I hate to impose on a very busy guy, I picked up the phone, called my son, and turned the whole thing over to him. After doing that, I felt quite relieved because when it comes to computers, systems and technology there's nothing he doesn't know. So, I really felt even better when after spending some time on the project, he told me he couldn't figure out what to do either. Not to worry though, after inputting some input into the project and some phone calls, he ultimately got the job done.

I'm actually really looking forward to the final review process and reading the story again, because the publisher's had the thing for so long, I forgot what was it about. But as I vaguely remember while writing it, I thought it was a really good story.

It occurs to me now that, in their own way, the stories about the hero in my books, Bobby Cole, reflect quite a lot about how certain things in the world work today. For instance, Bobby's a body guard by profession. That's a job he's good at and his clients appreciate his talents and smarts. But, why is someone like him needed at all? Because, my friends, there are folks out there who'll take advantage of you, beat you black and blue or kill you, either for financial gain, difference of belief or opinion, some kind of hatred or other, or perhaps, just simply because they can.

When I was a lad, way, way back when, I was raised in Manhattan. The upper East Side in fact. At that time, it wasn't odd for folks who double-parked to leave their keys in the car. That way, whomever their vehicle blocked in could simply move the double-parked car, then pull theirs out and drive off with no problem. In fact, what actually happened most often was, the person whose car had been blocked in by the double-parker would not only move that vehicle out of the way, but once they'd unparked themselves, they'd then move the double-parked car into the now vacant space.

Today, cars left on the street with keys in the ignition would not only be stolen in a heartbeat for sure, if the keys weren't there it's odds on probable that the tires would be stolen. Or how about ripping off the hood ornament or some siphoning of gas. If the whole car wasn't taken, the paint would at least be keyed, just to let the owner know someone was there.

The vignette above certainly isn't what Bobby Cole gets involved in, his clients are worlds above that. But what is illustrated is that today, no matter where folks go, who they are or what they do, they're potential victims. And the higher a person's profile, the greater their odds of becoming a target. So, that's why Bobby's around, and that's why he does what he does. My only hope is, that as good as he is at his job, that he doesn't fix everything out there. Because, if he does, there won't be any more books.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment