Monday, May 28, 2012

BloggeRhythms 5/28/2012

Slow news day, but I did see an article in, Real Clear Politics on-line, regarding retiring Democrat Representative, Barney Frank, one of several speakers at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth undergraduate commencement Sunday, where he received the Chancellor's Distinguished Service Medal.

 I mention him because he’s always seemed to me as an extremely self-serving politician who’d use any opportunity to advance his own cause, regardless of any other considerations. And I think he did that once again in his award acceptance speech.

Another person at the ceremony was Hubie Jones, a black man who received an honorary doctorate degree, and when Frank spoke he referenced the Trayvon Martin case in Sanford, Florida, saying: "Finally, I do want to acknowledge a man who has played a major role in diminishing inequality in Massachusetts and other spheres, and that's Hubie Jones. One of the great men I've worked with for many years and I'm particularly pleased that Hubie got an honorary degree today. You know, when you get an honorary degree they give you one of these and Hubie, I think you now got a hoodie you can wear and no one will shoot at you. So, I think you'll feel, I hope, pretty protected by that."

Now, here’s what bothers me.

I think that simply by the virtue of the fact that a black man was being honored at a prestigious university, that speaks hugely about how far racial relations have come in the nation. Up to and including its presidency. And to most people today, if an example was to be made of what Jones’ UMass degree ceremony represented, they’d likely feel it was an extremely positive thing. But regardless, when a man’s being publicly honored for his achievements, what’s the point of bringing his race into play? Why not just let him bask in the glow of all he’s accomplished?

And I guess that’s why folks in Congress have an approval rating that’s under twenty percent and falling. Because these self-serving low-life’s have no other interests than their own, regardless of all else.

That’s it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment