Sunday, May 27, 2012

BloggeRhythms 5/27/2012

Didn’t find much new in the “news,” but Peggy Noonan in the Wall Street Journal on-line on Friday caught my eye, referencing an interview she’d done with Mitt Romney, which I think clearly illustrates the difference between him and the current incumbent.

Asking Romney “when was the last time you woke up unhappy?’ he replied that “He doesn't recall.” Then went on that, "Sometimes you're disappointed, but it's mostly disappointment with myself that causes me to be most concerned. This for me is not my life, meaning I don't have to win an election to feel good about myself." He explained that he’s already achieved business success, "beyond my wildest dreams, and is "hoping to make a contribution and go to Washington and go home when it's over. Who I am has long ago been determined by my relationship with the people I love, and with my success in my professional career."

To me, I believe what Romney said is truly how he feels about the presidency and he isn’t running to change the basic political philosophy of the nation, but simply feels that applying what he’s learned from building a very successful business and as governor of a state is exactly what’s needed right now. And I agree with that completely. Because if nothing else, right off the bat he’ll trim government size, reduce intervention, pare down overbearing legislation and get countless agencies off businesses’ backs, which by themselves will bring put economic growth back on track.

Then, in comparison to the preceding, according to Reuters on-line, Vice President Joe Biden spoke at the West Point graduation on Saturday, saying graduates “would have to focus on a new set of threats, with the Iraq war over and Afghanistan's ending.” And that, “Winding down these long wars is enabling us to replace and rebalance our foreign policy, to take on the full range of challenges that will shape the 21st century, challenges different than those of the 20th century.”

In that regard, according to Reuters, “Biden was careful not to suggest there could be conflict looming in Asia, but said the growth of international commerce with the region made it necessary for the United States to give it more attention.” He also said that, “The most critical relationship to get right is the U.S. and China. Every day the affairs of our nations and the livelihoods of our citizens become more connected.”
Noting that the administration also wants stronger ties with other emerging powers like India, Brazil, Russia, Turkey and South Africa, Biden didn’t say what he expects to transpire in Iran and North Korea, where tensions about nuclear programs are running high, nor in Syria where street violence continues despite the government having nominally agreed to a U.N.-backed peace plan.
 
In contrast, Reuters points out that “Mitt Romney has accused the current administration of rushing for the exits in Iraq and Afghanistan and showing weakness in its dealings with China, Russia and Iran.”

So, here we have two completely different viewpoints whereas the administration desires to legislate, police and regulate business and the economy to almost a standstill through intervention, yet seeks to avoid any commitment to international protections or military involvement elsewhere. Consequently, it seems to me that their current plan is not only to have the country go broke, but friendless as well.
That’s it for today folks.

 Adios       

No comments:

Post a Comment