Thursday, April 8, 2010

BloggeRhythms 4/8/2010

I wasn't planning on mentioning the Masters Tournament today, because despite that I've been an avid golfer for most of my life, this blog really isn't about sports.

And then, I got a phone call this morning that got me re-thinking. I'll get into the gist of the call farther down the page, but first let me set the stage.

The Masters Tournament was started many years ago at Augusta Country Club in Georgia and in time became a pillar in the foundation of golf as a major sport. There have been many stories about the Masters and Augusta through time, and how and why the club and its annual tournament have gained their prominence and esteem. To many, many golfers Augusta is hallowed ground, to be spoken of in revered tones, perhaps only whispers. And, I've learned over the years but not experienced myself, should one ever be granted a chance to walk on, much less play this Mecca, a certain closeness to everything holy about the sport comes alive. Breath is taken away, knees shake, tears come to the eye. If golfers by any chance have a heaven, this would probably be it.

Now, golfer or not, think of the names who've helped to make Augusta what it is. Most people have heard of the likes of Bobby Jones, famous amateur golfer and the clubs founder, Walter Hagen, "Lord" Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, and Sam Snead perhaps, who through earlier generations all won the Masters and began drawing attention to the event. They say the one who really put the contest on the map, though, was Arnold Palmer. A four-time Masters winner himself, Arnie is credited for bringing the entire game of golf to life and paving the way for the now world-wide impact of this continually growing sport. In golfing circles, and perhaps throughout the professional sports world itself, Arnie's known as "The King" and he's earned the title and worn the crown exceedingly well.

After Arnie, Jack Nicklaus, ten years younger, rose to fame. I assume most of you still reading have heard of him. He's done a wonderful job in keeping traditions alive and maintaining a deep respect and admiration for the game. There are numerous others too whose names likely ring a bell; Tom Watson, Fred Couples, Raymond Floyd, Ken Venturi, Hale Irwin to mention just a few.

As the list goes on, there's a certain commonality among the folks I've mentioned that starts to become apparent. Each of them brought a certain dignity to the sport and demonstrated a particular aspect of class and manners both on and off the course. Golf was their life, courses their home and they extended every effort to insure that those traditions continue.

But today, against the background I've reverently tried to describe herein, while waiting for the most important event of my year to begin this afternoon, I get the phone call I referred to above. And, what does the caller ask? "Did you see the TV ad about Tiger?" "What ad," I asked, "You of all people certainly know, I haven't seen a TV ad in years. In fact, I watch almost all TV, except for Jeopardy, with the sound off. And, if an ad does come on I change the channel."

"No matter," the caller said, "I think you should watch this one."

Well, I haven't seen the ad run, but I did some research. And, lo and behold here's what I found. It seems this ad is shot in black and white to add a certain sense of remembrance, sentimentality and gravity to the situation. The scene itself is a somber Tiger Woods silently hearing the voice of his departed father, who questions Woods about what, if anything, he's learned from his transgressions and if what he's learned will help him on his road to recovery.

Now, I looked at this worthless pap and thankfully was alone when I did so. Because, if anyone else had heard my screaming they'd have tied me up and sent for the cops or medics. I simply couldn't believe it. That against the backdrop of the most hallowed course in golf, on the opening day of its most prestigious event, they not only show this skirt-chasing degenerate pondering his past dalliances, but they compound the insult to viewers by dredging up the guy's deceased parent as well. And all for what? To try to sell another pair of sneakers I guess.

I've never believed that all advertising and word of mouth, good or bad, increases sales. It simply makes no sense. And ad agencies can doctor up their consumer feedback and noise about "exposure" all they want, I still don't believe it. What's more, after seeing the ad today I searched my closet for anything with Tiger's sponsor's name on it, because I wanted to burn it. Upon finding none, I did notice however some other things in my wardrobe.

My name is "Mike" and that's pretty close to the name of Tiger's sponsor. And I've got some things with my own name on them. So, just to get the issue out of my system, I dragged my own stuff outside and sent that up in flames instead.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see that anger management class is finally paying dividends.

    By the way, I think the name Nicki is closer to the name of Tiger's sponsor than Mike. Good thing that you didn't burn any of her wardrobe....you didn't... did you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whats the matter with you

    ReplyDelete