Sunday, April 18, 2010

BloggeRhythms 4/18/2010

Sunday. Lot's of things to do. Especially kids sports, then dinner with visiting relations. So, this'll be short.

In talking with someone this morning, the subject of job tenure came up. And naturally, that led to whether tenure is a positive or negative thing. I've always suspected that it tends to protect weaker or less competent performers, but have never really much cared. That's because tenure usually applies to relatively non-productive folks in the first place, such as civil servants or teachers who don't add much economic value to begin with.

The discussion, however, got me thinking and tenure led to nepotism which, in a way, is very similar.

And that reminded me of a story I heard many years ago. There was this man who worked hard and successfully, every day of his life. Almost nothing on Earth was as important to him as his occupation. Over time, he built a hugely successful business. When the time came for him to consider retirement, he spoke to his oldest son, and said proudly, "As you know, I started with nothing and built this business from scratch. I worked my fingers to the bone every day of my life. Now, the time's come for me to retire, so I'm turning this whole enterprise over to you. Here are the keys. The business is now yours."

So, the son turned right around and sold it.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment