Sunday, April 11, 2010

BloggeRhythms 4/11/2010

Well, I'm not the best predictor in the world, but sometimes I get it right. And, last night I expected to enjoy a concert, given by a friend. But as it turned out that expectation wasn't even close. My wife and I had such a good time, we couldn't believe how fast the time flew by and were very sorry when it was over. The evening was fantastic.

As I mentioned yesterday, we know the performer quite a while. More than twenty years, in fact. The reason for my original acquaintance was through business where I had the good fortune to work for an organization he was building at the time. The business itself was a successful, fast growing operation primarily engaged in the financing and leasing of equipment. We all worked hard, got things done and paid considerable attention to our professional goals and aspirations.

Throughout the years we worked together I knew this man as a consummate performer when it came to whatever was required to help insure business success, and in many ways within our industry he was uniquely above the crowd and well known for accomplishment.

Now, with this background to our relationship, working every day together to get business done, imagine my surprise some years after we began when I received an invitation. The invitation said something like: Appearing Live -some weekday night- Harvey Granat sings at Freddie's. Now, I didn't much at all about Freddie's, but was aware that Freddie, a lady, ran a club in Manhattan that showcased performers, primarily singers, who perhaps were on their way up the show-biz ladder or maybe long-established stars trying out some new ideas or arrangements.

Well, on the appointed night my wife and I arrived and somehow or other wangled a "ringside" table. If memory serves, and I'm pretty sure it does, we were only a few feet from the stage. We recognized some other guests, business folks and some of Harvey's relations, as we sat down and then ordered ourselves something to drink. We sat a while, while the place filled up, because aside from whomever Harvey had invited, this was a pretty popular nightclub. Then, in time, the lights went down and then went out altogether.

We sat in the darkness for a while, not really all that long, just enough to set the mood of anticipation. And then there was the sound of a lightly tinkling piano and a tiny spotlight focused on some man's head and shoulders who was standing on the stage, microphone in hand. Within moments this man, dressed in a dark suit, perhaps a tuxedo, I'm not that sure after all these years, began to sing. The song was one we knew and had heard many times before and sounded good, but...who was the singer?

As the lights came up again we could now see the singer's entire presence and also make out the pianist and bassist behind him. The song went on to finish, ended to well-earned applause, and then the singer began to talk. Welcoming the crowd, offering light patter and telling us all of what was to come in that night's entertainment. I sat there, like everyone else, remaining extremely quiet as the man went on, then suddenly said to myself, "My God, that's Harvey!"

I've always remembered that night and told the story of my first visit to one of Harvey's shows because of the sense of shock of seeing someone I spent so much time with now appearing in such a totally different role. The music was so good, and singer's voice so rich, and then the semi-darkness -it just took some time for it all to connect.

A reasonable amount of time's gone by since the first night we saw Harvey perform and have seen him do it quite a few times by now. But, nonetheless, every time one of his shows starts and he begins to sing, I get this strange sense of not really being sure it's the same person I've known so well and for so long.

Last night was no exception in terms of great entertainment, and that's not a prejudiced comment due to long time friendship. Because I think if you drive by the place where Harvey Granat sang last night, you'll still be able to hear the echoes of a happy audience's applause.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment