Wednesday, August 18, 2010

BloggeRhythms 8/18/2010

I added Nancy Pelosi to yesterday's entry simply because I'd mentioned the president and Harry Reid because of the perceived power of the offices they hold. Since she too, holds a supposedly powerful office, I threw her name in. Now, that has nothing to do with her personally at all, but she presently holds a powerful seat.

Then, in describing her I wrote "l think of her as some rinky-dink weasel politician who looks like an emaciated Chihuahua, and likely allergic to Wheaties, red meat and exercise, and I don't think the Oakland Raiders are going to be drafting her at middle-linebacker any too soon. I mean, this housewife whose husband's pockets are deep looks like the closest she's ever come to power is when she plugs in her shaver."

In reading that back yesterday before posting my entry, I thought I'd done a pretty good job of describing her, and so I left it alone. Then today, surfing the news, I found a comment from her about the proposed new mosque in Manhattan, where she said that those opposed to the construction are part of a conspiracy whose basis is anti-Muslim, anti-religion, anti-Democrat and Auntie Mame. Going on to suggest that she feels there should be an inquiry to uncover who's behind this nefarious scheme (nefarious is my word, not hers. The only two long words she knows are congressional investigation) and have them brought up on charges for trying to stop the construction.

So, now having read her comment today, I've concluded that my description of her yesterday was wrong. Because, I made her look better than she really is. And, beyond that, what I wrote is inadvertently insulting and demeaning to rinky-dinks, weasels, and Chihuahua's who are considerably higher up the status ladder than she is. So, for that, I apologize to them.

That leaves me some space for one more flying tale. A few years ago, I started a consulting business and sent out a flyer describing my services. Within only a few days, someone contacted me from a financial subsidiary of an industrial giant. In almost no time we worked out a proposed presentation agenda for a sales meeting he was planning. We did the whole thing by phone and never met in person.

A day or two later, the gentleman called again and asked if I was willing to travel to their meeting, it was not going to take place in their headquarters office. I replied that I surely would, after all my travel expenses were charged to the client. He said, okay to the expense charge, and then asked if I was free for next Thursday, When I responded that that would be fine, he asked if I minded going all the way to Hawaii, because the meeting was going to be held in Maui.

I flew out Wednesday afternoon and with the time changes, I think I arrived before I left. But the next thing I knew, I was standing in front of a large group of guys in flowered shirts and working down an agenda of topics regarding selling financial services. Then, in what seemed like almost no time, I was again on an aircraft headed back to New York. I think the whole gig took less than 30 hours, round trip, and I don't remember sleeping at all. In fact, because of the immediate turn-around, I didn't even reserve a hotel room.

Now, I've been to Hawaii several times, and enjoyed every minute there, but for me, this meeting could have been held in a hotel in Newark because the sights and sounds of this island paradise were never seen or enjoyed by me.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment