Saturday, August 14, 2010

BloggeRhythms 8/14/2010

It's a good that I have lot's of stories, because there sure ain't no news worth typing about.

Aside from that, I've got a lot of business stuff going on, so there's not too much blogging time today. But, I do have a short story about a long flight.

Way back when I first flew coast-to-coast, I was heading to Los Angeles (LAX) from Newark accompanied by two of my salespeople. We were on our way to attend a week of meetings run by our employer, The Bank of Virginia.

Our flight originated in Newark, NJ flying non-stop to California. I don't recall which airline it was, but am pretty sure it was United or TWA. At that time both were very good airlines.

Our group was in coach, and we left mid-morning. And, for whatever reason, there weren't many others in our cabin, maybe fifteen or twenty all told in a good sized plane. DC8 perhaps or an early model 727.

There were two stewardesses in coach that morning, and we soon found out that neither had ever been to the West Coast. They were friends and flew short eastern hops, like Pittsburgh-New York, Chicago-New York or something like that -two hour flight times at the most. Their plan was to fly out together and take a few days off in California.

Since this was their first long trip west, they were quite excited themselves. Especially since back then the pilots always told you where you were by announcing things like, "We're just coming up on Pittsburgh, it's on your right." So, the further west we flew the more hepped up the stews got because this was all new to them. Several times, if things were slow, they'd actually move into an empty row and look out the window.

When my guys and I realized this, I made a suggestion to the stewardesses. I told them we weren't the types who needed constant attention, so If they wanted to look down at whatever we'd fly over, that was fine with us. Except, we'd really appreciate it if they'd leave the bar cart in the aisle, and we'd simply help our selves. They readily agreed.

Needless to say that was a very pleasant flight for all of us, even the other twelve or so passengers who soon joined our little party. In fact, there was one guy two of us had to carry off the aircraft in LAX. He was totally wasted.

The only other thing I remember is how me and my guys clinked as we walked down the Jetway leaving the plane, because, naturally, we couldn't possibly have finished all that booze by ourselves in that period of time. So we filled our pockets with those little bottles as best we could, because later on we planned to do some flying on our own.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment