Tuesday, June 8, 2010

BloggeRhythms 6/8/2010

Leasing News a web-published site has graciously mentioned Cole Calling. Maybe I'll hear from some long-lost friends who check the industry news now and then. I hope so. To see the write-up yourself: http://www.leasingnews.org/#cole_calling

Writing about Dick Lynch yesterday brought back some memories about some of our golf rounds. And, as I noted, after my brief tale to him about my dislike for his life-long team the NY Football Giants, we never mentioned another word about football in the entire seven or more years we played golf together.

I've also said for many, many years that I never watched, listened to or read anything about the Giants, after they gave away a roster-full of great talent out of what I thought was unwillingness to pay the players what they deserved. But, then, what if I was wrong. Suppose it wasn't money, but actually football decisions based on what they thought was best for the team. Well, if that was true, then they were too stupid to run a team and I still made the right decision by abandoning them as a fan.

Now, although I've kept saying I ignored the Giants altogether, and when it came to the season that was absolutely and unequivocally true, but during the time I hung around with Lynch there were a couple of lapses on my behalf. Because, he also broadcast the pre-season games.

And, as he was also well-known for, during those warm-up games that really didn't count, he talked about all kinds of stuff, sometimes it seemed, forgetting all about football. So, fairly often during those non-event practice sessions he'd talk about golf, and especially Douglaston Golf Course. And that's what I'd listen for, because not only did he mention lot's of my friends from there, once or twice he even mentioned me on the air.

I also recall telling another friend about how Dick and I never conversed about football, college or professional, and he gave me a response that I thought made a lot of sense. He thought it was likely that everyone Lynch ran into, family, friends and otherwise buried him in questions, information and trivia about the sport and he was deluged. But, as far as Lynch and I were concerned the subject never came up.

So golf gave him a place to get away from it all for a while, and as all golfers know, to play that game well, you can't think of anything else. But, better than that for Lynch, so long as he was spending time with me he was guaranteed football would never be mentioned.

The last time we really played a round of golf together, Dick told me that three friends of his from the Giants had opened a new golf course. The place was out on Long Island, I don't remember the name but it was Mill Pond, or Mill Road, or Mill something or other, I think. Anyway, it was located somewhere around Exit 70 on the Long Island Expressway and a good haul by car. He asked me if I wanted to come along, he was playing very early on a Sunday morning.

I declined saying that on the drive out at that hour we'd probably make very good time, perhaps under an hour or less because the cops hadn't really woken up yet. But on the way back, forget it. With regular Sunday expressway traffic around noon, we'd be on the road for hours getting home.

I guess Dick really liked the place, though, because except for showing up at Douglaston sometimes during the week when I wasn't there, he never really came back. As for me, I kept playing there and as usual, had a continual stream of strangers in my foursomes. But, I kept reading the names on their bag-tags anyway, because, as I'd found out, who knows who'll you'll run into playing a public golf course?

That's it for today folks.

Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment