Friday, June 18, 2010

BloggeRhythms 6/18/2010

I've been around too long to believe in the good fairy. But, in the recent news I've seen the word "investigation" creep into stories about the Gulf. So, perhaps the situation's too big to keep covered up. And, if that's the case, maybe some modern day Woodward, Bernstein or both will show up and dig out the truth. Then, if we're lucky, we'll find out all about "Oilgate," sabotage, and Soros.

We spent yesterday's early afternoon with our son, admiring the job he'd done sprucing up his deck and grounds for summer. One grandchild was already home from school but her brother not expected until after we'd gone. Our daughter, whom we'd come to pick up, was visiting from Florida.

It had been a while since our daughter's last visit north so we went for a drive to Port Jefferson. We use back roads to travel and it's really a nice ride through the country. Except for the part where construction crews on a two lane stretch kept us parked dead still for more than half an hour. Nonetheless, on reaching our destination, the interruption was soon forgotten.

Danford's Inn, on the water, is somewhere we go quite often. There's a recently redesigned bar and restaurant inside, and also a large outside deck for food and drink. Choosing to stay inside, we passed a pleasant time, then left for another of our favorite spots, the nearby Pasta, Pasta.

Having been to this place quite a few times before and always enjoying our meal, for the first time this morning I looked it up on the web. Because, while we really enjoy the food and service and think the place rates with the best, it's still way out on Long Island, and Port Jeff isn't Manhattan or San Francisco.

But, I can't say I was surprised to find that the owner/chef was a graduate of the CIA (that's the Culinary Institute of America, for the uninformed, and has nothing at all to do with clandestine government operations or mysterious happenings at oil rigs.) If you want to see what the place is like, Google them like I did. They even have pictures on their site.

As always, we had a wonderful dinner, my daughter agreed we'd made a good choice, then we headed back for home. Not wanting to get stuck in the construction zone again, I headed south instead of west figuring that, sooner or later, we'd cross some kind of road or parkway we recognized. Our not knowing the way was compounded by the facts that I have absolutely no sense of direction and think it a sin to pull over and ask for help. It's some kind of macho/explorer affliction.

I also like to travel fast and when lost, always make right turns at big intersections. That's because you can usually turn right at red lights, so you don't have to wait for green. The only problem with my method is a tendency toward driving in circles.

As an aside about my driving habits, I'm reminded of when I spent most of my life on the road in sales. There are many horror stories about auto trips to unfamiliar places I've taken, here and in other locations around the United States. Usually mapless, and perhaps even having directions I'd gotten from whomever I was on my way to see, I still wound up in some of the most Godforsaken places one could imagine. That led to my wife to remark fairly often that I might have earned millions had I not spent most of my time totally lost and confused.

Anyway, last evening we eventually found our way home, proudly unscathed by any information from any outside source. What was more, there was very little complaining during our circuitous ride. Perhaps that's because, as I forgot to mention, both places we visited also made very, very good drinks.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment