Wednesday, May 26, 2010

BloggeRhythms 5/26/2010

Lot's of stuff to do today. Short entry.

I've mentioned a salesperson several times before whom I call the shmoozer. But, he certainly wasn't the only one I've encountered who had particular sales talents, yet had difficulty in actually "closing" business transactions appropriately.

One of the others was a person I'll call Jerry K.

In his own way, Jerry K. was a lot like the shmoozer in that he was a conversationalist of the very first order. Extremely likable, curious and outgoing, Jerry had no trouble finding opportunities at all, except, he too had no inkling of the worth of whatever he stumbled across. So, this was another case where considerable time had to be spent sorting out what was viable opportunity from what was not that he'd discovered in his prospecting efforts.

In Jerry's case, however, no matter how I tried to overcome it, he had some kind of block, fear or determination to never become involved in the specific negotiation or closing of any kind of transaction, regardless. "Finding" business opportunity was his unequivocal limit. In fact, when it came to actual contract signings with customers that Jerry attended with me, he would remain absolutely silent throughout.

While certainly disappointing to me, because I'd have far more preferred that he be totally self-sufficient in his customer dealings, there was no doubt considerable worth to the opportunities he found. So, I went along with his approach and used other means to finalize business.

Nonetheless, despite that I was quite aware of Jerry's desire to leave well enough alone, I prodded him about becoming more a "complete" salesperson and if nothing else, at least attempting to "close" a deal, after all, to a considerable extent, they were his to begin with. However, my pleas fell on deaf ears.

And then one day we were visiting a client to close a transaction of Jerry's. As I sat across from the customer, Jerry by my side, I explained the contracts and showed the client exactly where and how to sign. And then the customer hesitated a moment. Before continuing he asked one last time if the terms, conditions and costs were the very best we could provide.

Now, these were questions we heard all the time and very natural inquiries for any business person to ask, just to double check before finally closing. And then, when customers were told "Yes" we've done our best for you in arranging this financing, they'd move on and sign the paperwork involved. But, not today.

Because, although the customer seemed finally satisfied and was no doubt ready to continue with the signing, Jerry finally spoke up for the first time in his professional life at a business closing.

And, not having a clue as to what was structurally involved in the transaction, nor any element of understanding as far as the credit risks were concerned, much less an inkling about the costs of money, Jerry said, "Come on Mike, I've seen you do much better for customers than those rates."

Well, for the first time in a business closing for as long as I could remember, without an idea or clue as what to do now, I was the one who for a very long while after that remained absolutely silent.

That's it for today folks

Adios.

2 comments:

  1. Except for the whistling sound of the steam coming out of your ears! LOL,

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got that right, Lannie. Thanks for reading the story.

    MB

    ReplyDelete