Wednesday, May 19, 2010

BloggeRhythms 5/20/2010

The last few entry's have set me to reminiscing, because they occurred quite long ago. Nonetheless, they provided lessons for me lasting throughout and, I believe, still have value today. That's why I take the time to note them here.

As mentioned before, while these events might have great merit, they're not things taught in any school I know of. And, as I think back through them, they all seem to have a common thread. They're founded in basic, good old common sense.

Take temporary Dick for example. Here was a guy thrown into a situation totally over his head and considerably beyond his intellectual acumen. He however, latched onto the idea of being the "boss," albeit only for a while, as if someone had just ordained him savior. He went from common salesperson to grand imperial whizbang in the blinking of an eye.

And with that transformation, "managing" others became his self-proclaimed responsibility, regardless, and he was letting everyone know it. Consequently, most folks having anything to do with him were usually put off at first, but greater familiarity brought unbridled contempt.

In short order, those "reporting" to him looked for ways to avoid him. Avenues were created to complete business transactions clandestinely as far as Dickie was concerned. So, when it came to anything good taking place, he was the last to know. That way, he couldn't take an ounce of credit for participation in his underlings successes, because he hadn't even a hint or clue they'd even taken place.

On the other hand, when deals blew up or failed to close, we lackeys would report when asked why, that we'd done what our imperial leader, Dick had demanded and followed his orders to the letter.

In time, these kinds of things have the same effect as water dripping on a rock. Sooner or later, no matter how strong or dense the stone..it begins to crack apart.

Nonetheless, in the short time dense Dick and I were together, he was one of the most valuable teachers I've ever encountered, and very fortunately for me over time I've dealt with quite a few others like him.

Above all else, the most important things they've done is to save me time, effort, and therefore money, too. They've helped me immeasurably to become what I did, highly successful at my trade. They also showed me how to work with others successfully and get the best from us all, be it individually or in groups.

And, perhaps the greatest lesson of all they taught me was, that the most important thing in business management and having the greatest value between employer and employee is trust. Because without it, you have nothing.

Now, how did Dick and those others impart that knowledge to me?

Actually it was pretty simple. I observed everything I could that these folks did, and remembered precisely every procedure, step and nuance. And then made every, absolute, unequivocal, and dedicated effort to do exactly the opposite in every similar case. Because although these folks were without question walking natural disasters, by observing the results of their inept, anti-productiveness, I was able to avoid going out and doing the very same things myself.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment