Wednesday, March 21, 2012

BloggeRhythms 2 3/21/2012

This is a first for me, because I've never written two entries on one day, however today is absolutely unique.

I've been a Jet fan since they were the New York Titans and have gone through the very few good times, Broadway Joe and the Super Bowl win, and seen just about every game they've ever played. I was a season ticket holder at Shea Stadium, and sold my seats after the move to the Meadowlands. Even as die hard as I was, as a Long Islander, four hours in traffic was a little too much...even to see the Jetski's. But one game in New Jersey was enough for me and I never returned there.

Similarly, due to a friend of mine, I became interested in the University of Florida's Gators team quite a few years ago and have rooted for them ever since. Consequently, I've seen many great players and coaches represent that school on the field and viewed fantastic football. And then one day along came this quarterback named Tebow.

I distinctly remember the first time I saw him play, because the question I asked was...does this guy know there are ten other players on the team? In all my years of watching and playing football I'd never seen a ball hog like that and truly expected that pretty quickly his coaches, other team-mates and even the fans would make him realize that football's a team sport and not about only him. Yet, surprisingly, not only did he call his own number more and more often, he'd take a twenty yard loss before getting rid of the ball rather than hand it or pass it to somebody else and they let him.

Then. even more remarkably, the Denver Broncos drafted him last year and let him start for them, going so far as to change their offense to suit his me-first, me-only style. And I remember saying, this is different, this is the NFL, if he continues keeping the ball and running all the plays himself, some huge defensive player, or a pile of them, are simply going to kill him. As it turned out, at the end he got pretty beat up and caused the loss of his last Bronco game, but he can still walk which is a surprise to me.

Then along came Payton Manning this week and he accepted a contract with the Bronc's today. And John Elway, their owner, couldn't wait to sign an injured quarterback who might not even last a whole season due to his weakened physical condition, immediately blowing out Tebow. And I think that's no mistake because Elway not only was a super-star quarterback himself, he's an excellent businessman and knows that if he couldn't get Tebow to learn how to play the position professionally...nobody can.

Now, you'd think that at the professional level, coaches and owners know something about the game itself. Which means a guy like Tebow, regardless of his physical skills is a bad bet because his goal is personal glory and he's divisive to a team. So, in view of all that, what do the Jet's do? They sign this self-absorbed one-way street.

So, the reason I'm doing two entry's today is because it's a huge event in my life. Because it wouldn't have dawned on me in a thousand years, but I'll never watch the Jets again and that's a promise I very much plan to keep. Hello Green Bay and Pittsburgh, you've both just gotten a new fan.

That's it for today folks twice.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment