Sunday, January 1, 2012

BloggeRhythms 1/1/2012

Best wishes to all for a Happy New Year. However, as far as interesting news goes, there just doesn't seem to be any. But I did find a short entry on Fox News website that reports that Newt Gingrich told an audience in Iowa that he prays "before virtually every speech and virtually every major decision."

I thought the subject interesting because although I didn't think that I had anything in common with Newt at all, it turns out that I do. Because I've done more or less the same kind of praying quite often myself. And without getting into specifics as to which Deity I addressed, or how I did it, I just wanted to mention the subject because it rang a bell.

 Frankly, I prayed much more often when I was younger, and especially while attending school. Because I fervently hoped that help would come my way from above when taking tests I hadn't prepared for, or that a blizzard would close the schools on days that subjects like advanced algebra was discussed.

 As I got older I also prayed a lot in other places, such as at water holes on golf courses, fervently beseeching that my ball stay dry and reach the green. Not to mention very long sessions on my knees before visiting the IRS.

 The reason I mention all this is that over time I finally figured out that while prayer is a wonderful thing, you can't always be sure that your pleas and pledges are going to be heard or answered affirmatively. So, just to add some insurance that things turn out as they should, I found it best to do my homework, practice the things I cared about, always did the best job I could...and in that way added some insurance, just in case my Deity was busy elsewhere when I knelt.

That's it for today folks.

Adios


No comments:

Post a Comment