Tuesday, July 5, 2011

BloggeRhythms 7/5/2011

There's this case I didn't care very much about, involving this guy Dominique Strauss-Kahn, who headed the International Monetary Fund. The guy was arrested and charged with sexually assaulting a Guinean hotel maid who claimed he tried to rape her in his plush Manhattan hotel suite. Since then, he's been under "house" arrest.

But as of Tuesday, according to the New York Post newspaper, eventual dismissal of the case, likely quite soon, is now a "certainty."

Although I do remember the headline going by, right after the perp was arrested, the item was quickly forgotten. Since I don't do much business with the IMF, to me this was simply another guy who abused a woman and got himself arrested. While that doesn't get headline news every day, it probably should, because these freaks are all over the place. But, now that they're going to spring this guy, it is catching my attention.

Because although I believe that everyone truly is innocent until proven guilty, and that's what evidence and trials are all about, there are some folks who might be slightly above the law. And in this case, something just doesn't seem right to me.

Going back to square one, this guy was arrested by the New York City police, not some redneck sheriff in a hick town in fly-over country. Having been born and raised in NYC, I know that those guys generally follow very strict procedures before announcing the arrest of high profile perps, especially diplomats, because the backlash on mistakes is horrific on them. What's more, the pressure from the press puts them in a fishbowl. To me, that indicates they were probably very careful and sure of themselves, evidence-wise, before they made the collar.

Now, all of a sudden, however many weeks later, they no longer have a case because their star witness, the victim's, word can't be trusted. And, according to an "insider" at the center of the NYPD investigation, speaking only on the condition of anonymity of course, "She is not to be believed in anything that comes out of her mouth -which is a shame, because now we may never know what happened in that hotel room. Did Strauss-Kahn use force? Was there actually a crime? I don't think we'll ever know."

Well, maybe I've just been around too long, or maybe I was born a cynic, but for whatever reason, I simply get skeptical when miracles happen out of the blue, especially when they involve folks at the seat of money and politics.

Now, naturally, just like the cops and the courts, at this point I don't know if the guy's guilty or not. But, it doesn't seem right that just because the perp's a high profile political figure and the maid has no influence at all, this guy's avoiding a trial that would show us all exactly what he's all about. And, if this guy wasn't who he is, I'm pretty sure we'd see one.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment