Thursday, March 17, 2011

BloggeRhythms 3/17/2011

The Associated Press said that Florida public school teachers could make more money though losing job security, if their students do well on standardized tests under a trailblazing bill that went to Governor Rick Scott on Wednesday. The same bill was vetoed last year by then Governor, Charlie Crist, after statewide protests by teachers and their supporters.

Having spent the vast majority of my business life in positions where my own income was a direct result of my personal production, or of those whom I managed, I know I wouldn't want to be compensated any other way than on production, because otherwise I have no way to receive compensation for reaching or exceeding targeted goals.

And I guess that clearly illustrates why Florida teachers and pretty much all other educators balk at merit pay, because they either don't have the abilities to perform at exceptional levels or don't desire to try. And that's understandable because life is far simpler when all you do is punch a clock.

As for me, I personally find nothing wrong with a system that rewards mediocrity, sets low standards, tolerates failure, and fosters poor performance. Because I have to go out and compete in the market every day. So, the less my competition knows and the less educated they are makes my job far simpler. Because if I know five times as much, and work twice as hard I'll keep burying my business completion like always...and that's certainly good for me.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment