Tuesday, March 1, 2011

BloggeRhythms 3/1/2011

I just finished typing a letter to Arnie. I'm sending it because, as I put in the letter, surfing channels yesterday I happened to see him being interviewed at his home at Bay Hills in Orlando. And it was while I was watching that it occured to me that he's one of the very, very few real "professionals" in all of sports today. Almost all the rest are self-serving oafs who happen to have some kind of skill or talent.

I told him in my letter, that the first time I saw him in person was at the U.S. Open Golf Tournament at Winged Foot Country Club, Mamaroneck, NY in 1959. I knew a lot about him even then because he looked like a future star from the very start of his professional career, and I liked the way he attacked golf courses, going all out to do his very best, no matter.

But, what I really wanted to tell him was, and why I wrote the letter, that I got a very strong sense of where his career was going to go, even way back then. I also saw that he was different when it came to his fans. Because after his round was over that Saturday at Winged Foot, he assured everyone that he'd stay around for as long as it took to meet us all and spend some time with us. And that's exactly what he did and he's been the same way with his fans ever since.

As for me, I saw all the other golfers that day and had a chance to talk to them all if I'd chosen, because it was the U. S. Open, the most prestigious event of the year and they were all there. But, I only wanted one autograph, and that's what I got. And, as I type, that score-sheet still hangs over my desk in its frame, signed by Arnold Palmer, the greatest name ever in the game of golf.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment