Thursday, January 13, 2011

BloggeRhythms 1/13/2011

I remember distinctly when Sarah Hughes won an Olympic gold medal in 2002 for figure skating. Although I'm not a skater myself, nor have any interest in the sport, Ms Hughes happened to live in Great Neck, NY where my family resided, and my wife owned a store.

Soon after the games were over, the town held a parade for the champion, which is why I remember the event so clearly. And since my wife's store was on the main drag, Middle Neck Road, she hung a big sign in her front window saying something like, "Way to go Sarah!" in appreciation.

Now, Great Neck is fairly well known, primarily as a suburb of Manhattan and lot's of prominent folks have resided there over the years. Nonetheless, it's not a very big town. Consequently, while the parade for Ms Hughes was a heartfelt gesture to honor her achievement, and certainly well planned and executed, there weren't all that many marching. There was a squad of policemen, a fire unit and big red truck, a high school marching band and some convertible cars with their tops down. And that's why I'll never forget the parade.

Because in two of those convertibles, filled with local dignitaries, who else showed up? Why none other than Hillary Clinton and Chucky Cheese Schumer calling attention to themselves as usual by glomming on to someone else's achievement. Neither one of those parasites had a thing to do with the Olympics, figure skating or even Great Neck itself that I know of, yet they came there because there would be cameras and news crews.

And the reason I especially remember that event today is because the president is doing exactly the same thing in regard to the shooting in Arizona. He's stuck himself in the middle of a newsworthy happening that has nothing to do with him or his administration, and is trying to turn the tragedy into a political issue with himself as the focal point.

But what struck me as most interesting is, that he's using the issue as the basis for telling folks to make less political noise, because, he says, that leads to situations like this. And I, for one, can certainly understand where he's coming from. Because the less political noise and public disagreement, the less that will be said about him and his failures. And if I were him, I wouldn't want them talked about either. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to pass a law, in the interest of public safety. that made it illegal for anyone to talk about politics except himself.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment