Sunday, February 19, 2012

BloggeRhythms 2/19/2012

Watching the recent blurbs go by on my TV screen, I've more or less resigned myself to the fact that there's little doubt the incumbent president will be reelected. Because the only hope the Republicans have is Mitt Romney and so-called Conservatives are making every effort to sink his campaign and gaining ground every day.

And I'm pretty sure of the outcome in the presidential race, because I know how I feel myself. And although I'm quite conservative in economic matters, I not only couldn't care less about all the social stuff, I feel very strongly that my personal beliefs are none of the governments damn business.

Consequently, I think if someone like Santorum runs who has no business capabilities whatsoever, I'll simply sit the presidential race out and cast my vote only for Congress. What's more, since I believe the Republicans will likely take both houses, the incumbents policies and plans are basically cooked anyway.

In the meantime, since despite the fact that the majority of the nation's woes are economic and that the current administration's trying to socialize the population, I got to wondering exactly how many voters on the other side think it's worth watching themselves and their country go broke by making their religious beliefs the only things that matter.

Here are the statistics I found: A website called beliefnet.com estimates that 12.6% of voters are in the group referred to as the Religious Right. Meanwhile, a Pew Research Center recent study indicates that an estimated 34% of all voters say they are Democrats,  28 percent claim to be Republicans and the biggest group contains 37 percent of all American voters who  now call themselves independents or unaffiliated voters.

Consequently, you don't have to do much arithmetic to realize that what most political pundits are saying is absolutely true. Presidential elections now heavily depend on independents because neither party, Democrat or Republican, has enough voters to carry an election. 

And since logic says its the independent swing vote that will determine the next president, I think its reasonable to assume that rigid believers such as the Religious Right will scare off most of them, which pretty much gives the incumbent a win.  But what's most remarkable to me is, that a mere 12.6 percent of those who vote can sink a country as powerful and successful as the United States used to be.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment