Saturday, February 26, 2011

BloggeRhythms 2/26/2011

I'm about 25% through Tony Blair's autobiography, A Journey, My Political Life, which I'm finding to be a very interesting story. My wife brought it home from the library because she knows I have a very high regard and liking for him.

I first became aware of the Prime Minister when he showed himself to be one of the strongest allies the U.S. has ever had, standing shoulder to shoulder with us in Iraq in 1993. At the time, I thought him to be extremely bright, down to earth, and unafraid to stand up for his beliefs regardless of dissenters. And ever since, I've yet to change my opinion.

Nonetheless, other than hearing about his actions in the news and hearing him speak once in a while, I knew very little about him. Thus, although I've really just started his book, I've learned significantly -and right off the bat, I must say I was shocked. While really not knowing much about Britain's politics, as it turns out I really knew absolutely nothing about Blair himself, since it took me by complete surprise to find that he's not only a liberal, he's left of left. But, that's why I thought to write about him today.

When he took office the Tories had had control of England's government for 18 years and were entrenched in staunchly conservative policy. His party, Labour, was almost totally comprised of union members and were diametrically opposed to everything the long-term incumbents had stood for. And Blair himself had been spending his time in the House of Commons, objecting vehemently to Tory actions along with other minority members.

Obviously, throughout his campaign, and certainly after he was elected, he realised that there were things in government that needed change, especially since many of them were in total opposition to everything he stood for or believed. But it's the way that he approached these things that made me think of him today.

First and foremost, he didn't visualize issues as if there were only two extremes...right or left. He realized there were middle grounds that could be reached if both sides were willing to listen and try to compromise. And in that way he was able to modernize his own party, while satisfying his opposition fairly often. Much of that was due to the fact that throughout he never lost sight of the fact that he was presiding over Britain, and the country came first, not political bias.

So, in a situation like the ones today in Wisconsin and Ohio, I doubt Tony Blair would run away and hide, thereby avoiding hard issues and bringing his behavior down to that of a two year old child. Instead, he'd look for a middle-ground that made sense to both sides and try to let common sense play a part.

But, beyond that, he was also very in touch and has a good sense of humor. However despite his ability to laugh and grasp the amusement in things that happen, he never performed his job like the butt of a joke in Wisconsin.

That's it for today folks.

Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment