Saturday, February 12, 2011

BloggeRhythms 2/12/2011

Today's jottings are about conceptions, a subject that's always interested me. Because I've felt for a very long time that people quite often form conclusions purely from images, notions or stereotypical assumption, rather than fact.

So, in that regard I was talking with my son yesterday and he mentioned watching a television show which featured both Gene Simmons, the bassist from Kiss, and Donald Trump.

Now, I know nothing at all about Kiss, and less about Gene Simmons, but quickly learned that he's been very successful, is extremely intelligent, has excellent business acumen and has earned several hundred million dollars from his combination of talents.

On the other hand, I've been wondering for years how Donald Trump survives economically. Because although I certainly have no inside information, have never seen his financial statements, nor have any input other than what I see and hear via the media, but from the outside looking in, I can't think of any business he's ever been involved with that was a success. And it also seems he's had bankruptcies in just about every business he's entered. So, I've never really understood all the hype, smoke and noise about his business acumen.

So, that's why when my son told me about this show, I got a kick out of it. Because the way the show works, apparently Trump gives guests business projects and then rates their performance.

In Simmon's case, he was given a situation involving a major manufacturing organization and was supposed to derive a solution for success. And, after he did so, Trump didn't like what he'd done and apparently told Simmons so.

Well, it was at this point -where Trump was telling Simmons he'd failed- that my son said you could see the anger in Simmon's eyes. And, that must have been obvious to Trump too, because he immediately backed off and let the situation defuse.

Now, as I said, I didn't see the show myself and have only the information I've looked up to support my conclusion. But, off the top I'd have to suspect that when you have someone so obviously weak in business matters reviewing the conclusions of another who's a total, and brilliant success...the chances are the failure didn't understand what the success had done to solve the problem, because the solution was over the failure's head.

And, that I guess is why Trump remains some kind of icon. Because, it looks like he's rarely run into folks in business who are very smart.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment