Monday, September 13, 2010

BloggeRhythms 9/13/2010

An article caught my eye this morning about an Illinois congressman who cold calls constituents seven days a week, year round except for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. He insists he waits until afternoon to call, so not to disturb constituent's mornings.

The reason I had some interest was, I too get occasional calls from politicians. I don't really know what party they're from because I hang right up, but I still form an opinion. And, my opinion's pretty simple to form. Because these clowns who serve almost no purpose at all not only screw the country up all day long from wherever they happen to be at the time, but beyond that, they want to disturb my peace at home to boot.

Now, reading on about this guy, Timothy Johnson, a Republican representing Illinois' 15th district, when he's pestering people, dialing for votes, he says most folks he calls are shocked because they "are not used to government reaching out to them." He also says he's seeing more of a disconnect between elected officials and the people they represent.

But, the fact is, I think this guy's got it upside down. I'll bet that most that he calls have better things to do than listen to some individualized campaign speech and are likely just too polite to tell him to go suck on a sock and leave them alone. Because, if nothing else, elected officials of any kind have proven indelibly that they couldn't care less about what their constituents think, want or need and never will.

However, the topper was a comment from this guy's Democrat opponent. And that's what prompted me to write this entry. Now, get this one. According to David Gill, Johnson's opponent in November, "There is a tremendous workload involved in being a responsible U.S. representative, and I would like to see Mr. Johnson approach some of the other work his job entails with the same zeal with which he approaches these cold calls."

Well, I'm not going to call this guy Gill to ask, but he piqued my curiosity. Because I'd like to know what "work" he was talking about regarding politicians. I know I've heard many words and terms used in regard to those folks, but never that one. And if the condition this country's in right now is resultant of their "work" efforts, we'd all be far, far better off if they were all unemployed.

So, in a way, this guy Johnson's doing us all a service. Because if others followed his example and only did harm to one constituent at a time by phone all day long, the whole rest of the United States might have a chance to recover.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment