Friday, July 30, 2010

BloggeRhythms 7/30/2010

If no news is good news, everything must be okay, cause there ain't no news worth keystrokes.

Last I saw, the house committee investigating Rangel seems to be leaning toward a reprimand, the mildest of penalties, which is the same as doing absolutely nothing. I remember "reprimanding" my puppies when they had accidents in the house during training. And now that I've typed this last sentence, that's just what Rangel is -an accident in the House. Looks, smells and acts exactly the same too.

Nevertheless, I don't think congress can just sweep this under the rug because they've buried so much there already, I doubt there's any more room. No wonder political favorability ratings are averaging about thirty percent. And it's likely the thirty favorable percent is made up mostly of illegal aliens.

So, now back to important matters. I wrote here yesterday that my humongous DP reorganization was finished and the result was a faster, smoother, simplified process for handling just about any task we could think of computerwise. Data management, customer bases, financial management, banking, print and web based advertising, communication systems, email programming for individual and bulk transmission, automated updating of programming and on and on and on.

I was extremely happy when my task was finished having put in five twenty hour days, but that's how I work. If anything's unfinished there's no point in my getting in bed, because I can't and won't sleep, so I may as well just keep going at my desk. So, that's what I did.

Now, I was sitting back at four o'clock this morning, reviewing the whole reprogramming job I'd just finished, and as a last step I tried a simple process within one of our more sophisticated programs. The task worked, but I thought it was too cumbersome and slow and then a light went on in my cranium. Gee, this is an older program, I said to myself -I wonder if there are updates on-line, because although our programs update automatically, sometimes there's something worthwhile that might have been missed.

Well, lo and behold, there's this 17 megabyte update available that's never been sent to us. So, in a pretty simple couple of keystrokes, zap, the download arrived in my machine. Nothing left to do now but let it run and install. I sat back and watched as my machine sucked the data in and it took almost no time at all, less than two minutes all told. My machines not the greatest but its pretty fast.

The program in question is a database manager and its huge. There's twenty years of combined customer information in it covering several different businesses, so there are thousands upon thousands of accumulated records. Well, after I installed the update, and went back to check the results, I found the desktop icon no longer worked and the program wouldn't open. I searched my machine every way I know how, and that's a lot, but there was no new or replacement icon to be found, and no other way into the program. When I realized what had happened, that I'd actually lost twenty years of accumulated customer, vendor, personal and whatever else information I did the only thing I could think of. I went totally ballistic.

After I calmed down and took a patient approach to the matter, through a combination of original program re-entry and a number of different back-ups I'd thankfully done, just in case, five hours later I'd corrected the problems and now am right back at square one. Oddly enough though, after my scary ordeal and reprogramming efforts, the slowness I was trying to fix in the first place somehow got solved. Not only is every KB and pixel of our data back, but the program itself is running at warp speed, without the kiss of death update that I'll never go near again.

I guess one could look back at this tale and say, now there's a careful and thoughtful guy, insuring that he could recover whatever need be in the event of disaster. But, that's not the case here at all. It's just that I've done this to myself so many times in the past that I've programmed my machines to insure that they take care of what needs to be done by themselves, regardless of how badly I screw things up.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment