Tuesday, March 9, 2010

BloggeRhythms 3/9/2010

A guy that I used to work with many years ago whom became a good friend of mine used to say "You know, nothing difficult is ever easy."
And, just like the great Yogi Berra whose musings have become classics, such as: "Nobody goes to that place anymore, it's too crowded," my friend's comment was right. At the moment, I'm going through the process of getting a new book published. Silly me, I thought the hard part was writing the book. After that, let the publisher take care of what needs to be done. Well, as it turns out, nobody takes care of anything that has to be done any more. We all have to do pretty much everything by and for ourselves (if we want it done right.)

So, I can't just submit my work and let the publisher take it from there. Oh no. There have to be specific copies in specific file formats and fonts for submission. Paper type must be selected, ISBN numbers secured, spell checks, gramatiques, cover graphics designed and styled. You name it, the list goes on and on.

I'm certainly no expert in data processing or computer technique, but I can fudge my way around the basics. But, what do authors do who haven't got a clue? It's a wonder books get published at all.

Naturally, you can have all of this done for you, if you want to leave time frames and production decisions totally to somebody else, but then, you've got no vote in the final outcome. And, aside from that, it costs.

I realize that I'm just sitting here venting in frustration, but it's not just something like publishing that's changed today. It seems no matter what you do, want or need lately, the only way you're going to get whatever it is handled correctly is by doing it yourself.

So, I've got to leave you now because my time's being taken up by publication issues. And, after that, since my car's running low, I've got to go out and pump myself some gas.

See you later.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment