Saturday, March 20, 2010

BloggeRhythms 3/20/2010

To my amazement, I may be making some progress in my latest project. Enough hostile emails and phone calls have gone back and forth between myself and a "service" provider that the provider may actually be willing to provide what I need.

Now, don't misinterpret me here, it's not that the provider has seen the light and is attempting to offer some customer service. Oh no. What's actually happened is I think they realize I won't give up and go away. And, I think they now understand that no matter how many roadblocks and obstacles they put in my way, I'm determined to see this through. Why? Because I need what they provide, and without their service my project is cooked.

Well, you might ask, why would you go through these travails? Why not find someone else to do what you need? The answer is simple. I've done some homework regarding others in the field and suspect that they're all the same. Beyond that, I've got serious time and effort invested here that I spent with the provider before I knew how horrendous things can get. I've also advanced them a couple of bucks I can't get back. The bottom line is, I'm determined to get this done with the folks I chose in the first place. Whether they like it or not.

Of course, there's an another alternative. I can contract with an intermediary,
someone who understands the lingo, procedures and geek-speak of the provider's business. It's likely an "expert consultant" can get me through the provider's maze. The only problem with that is, by the time I explain what I need to some third-party and go through their rigmarole, I'll likely end up right back in the same boat except -it'll be months later and with all the time lost, plus the consultancy fees and such, I'll never make a profit.

I mention all of this today for two reasons. First because, obviously, it's on my mind -the object of writing this blog. But second, and maybe more important, I think this situation reflects how most, if not practically all so-called "service" businesses operate today. With few exceptions (Home Depot comes to mind as a helpful place to shop) almost everywhere you seek whatever it is you need you run into brick walls. Sales staff and likely a good percentage of the management know very little to nothing about what they sell or how their offerings work, nor do they seem to care. Unskilled or helpless customers take up their valuable time and keep them from other, more important things, like staff meetings, coffee breaks, cell phone chats or chewing gum.

So, that's why I'll repeat something I wrote in this blog just the other day, because I believe it's worth the redundancy. If anyone out there, in almost any field wants to make a fortune, open a business that actually services and helps its customers and your on your way to becoming the next Bill Gates.

That's it for today folks.

Adios

1 comment:

  1. Home Depot is a helpful place to shop???? You are thinking about Home Depot 15 years ago. The current one is a joke. Most of the help couldn't tell you where the front door is. Ask the guy in the nail and screw department where are the 6 pennies he will probably say in his pocket

    To witness a great retail store with outstanding customer service, just take a trip to your local Apple Retail Store....oh I forgot you’re a PC guy.

    ReplyDelete