Monday, August 26, 2013

BloggeRhythms 8/26/2013

On Saturday, a www.foxnews.com/politics item addressed an interview with the incumbent by CNN anchor Chris Cuomo. It caught my eye because I thought it incomprehensible that a sitting president of the most powerful nation on earth gave serious consideration to the opposition of a radio talk show host, Rush Limbaugh.
 
However, the result of the incumbent’s obviously serious concerns  illustrated that serious-minded, well-informed, highly respected critics have an impact that even a twice-elected president finds fearful.
 
I mention this again, because of another article I read today about another well-known radio voice, Mark Levin, who authored a new book, "The Liberty Amendments."
 
According to the article, via Drudge, Levin appeared at a store, Book Revue on Long Island, NY on August 17 to a huge crowd of fans, lining up around the block.
 
I myself, listened to Mr. Levin every now and then a few years ago, and while agreeing with many of his positions and points, found him loud, often abrasive, and with many callers, flat-out rude. So, I most often turned him off.
 
While reading the column about his book today, I found reader comments following, one of which informed that the first chapter could be read on-line, so I looked it up.
 
What I found was that, Mr. Levin, or a ghost if he used one, used vocabulary so stilted and pedantic that I focused more on the words themselves than the subject. It seemed to me that if there was a three syllable, erudite noun or verb available instead of a simpler one, he or they used it. Consequently, I gave up and logged off.
 
I bring this up because, although Rush and Levin are in precisely the same business, Rush comes across as a down-to-earth, regular guy who writes much likes he speaks. And though a little long-winded, he’s most often easily understood. He's frequently quite funny too, which helps take the edge off. 
 
Levin, on the other hand, may be just as bright, and is certainly as well-informed as they come, but to me comes across verbally and in print as a pompous, arrogant, elitist.
 
In the end though, it really doesn’t matter how he sounds to me, because he has a large audience of devout followers. And, most important of all, he and Rush in particular, along with many others have built a platform for expressing important opinions having significant impact. So much so that even POTUS is obviously worried about their growing influence.
 
Nonetheless though, I for one think their audience could even be bigger, if Mr. Levin presented his thoughts in a way that more folks like me could not only fathom, but didn't give them a headache too. 
 
That’s it for today folks.
 
Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment